DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A great view on a warm summer day

newmikey

If you look very carefully, you can just see a buzzard sitting atop the bales of grass, This bird of prey is pretty rare in these parts but he/she comes back to this very spot each season. The image was shot on an IR-adapted Pentax K-5 (630nm wavelength) in raw and processed in Darktable and Gimp.
IRGP8743-Rongebos-HD-FA-43mm-ISO100_tonemapped_tonemapped-dt-2023-web.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-5
  • 43.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/500 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto bracket
  • ISO 100

We also have buzzards here, but it is very hard to get a decent photo of them. During the COVID period when traffic was greatly reduced, they seemed a bit more willing to come closer (like a lot of other wildlife at that time), and usually they would stay put if you merely passed by on a bike from a reasonable distance and kept moving. But if I would stop to grab a camera, I would not get more than 7 seconds before they would find it suspicious and fly away.
I can often hear them while they are soaring in the sky, profiting from the rising heat of the nearby highway, but again it is hard to get a good shot of them in flight.

Back