DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Carl Zeiss ZS lenses (M42 mount) SD14 compatibility?

I am not a big fan of wa zoom lenses.

Well I know you said your not a fan of zooms....I own the Sigma 10-20mm for my Sony system...and love the lens...

Here are a few shots...

This is at 10mm

View attachment 2060

View attachment 2059

Same shot as 1 at 20mm

View attachment 2061

I am wanting to get the 8-16mm for my Sigma SD14's....

View attachment 2062

If you go prime...

Tamron Adaptall 17mm f3.5 (Manual Focus Lens)
Sigma 14mm (This is an AF lens) - older and harder to find...

There are some M42 mount lenses...12/14/16/17/18/20...that do great jobs...

Tony C......:z04_cowboy:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    EXIF
    2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 1.jpg
    EXIF
    1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    EXIF
    3.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 3
  • sigma-8-16mm.jpg
    EXIF
    sigma-8-16mm.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi

I use Zeiss ZS lenses with my Sigma SD14. I have the Zeiss ZS 35/2.0 and the Zeiss ZS 50/1.4.

Both are good, but the ZS35/2.0 ist better in close-up photoraphy than the Zeiss ZS 50/1.4 wide open. The 50 is good enough starting at 2.8. The 35mm is IMHO already good enough at F2. Let's say I was diappointed with the 50mm wide open. I expected more from Zeiss in this price range.

The 85/1.4 is not available with ZS mount. The only other one which is available with ZS mount is the 25/2.8, which is very good at least what I heard about it. I never used it myself.

I use 2 different M42 adapters. One from Poland, another one I think from Hongkong. No pins on it. I am satisfied with it. The one from Poland is a better quality I think.

If you really need wider than the ZS 35mm and you want to have a good quality, then go with the Sigma 10-20 zoom. There is even a new version out out with different apertures. I do not know the mentioned Tamron.

With teh SD14 and the SD15, it is easy to focus manually. Of course it is more difficult with the ZS35 than with the ZS50.

The Jtat adapter is only for the SD10. The SD15 and SD15 have a different shape of the mount. The JTAT adapter does not fit on them.

Since the SD15 is now in the shelves, i would hesitate to invest in any kind of construction work on your body. Simply buy a used SD14 and an cheap 25 USD M42 adapter and make photos :)

The SD15 is easier to operate than the SD14. I had not yet the time to investigate further into image quality. Noise levele seems to be better with the SD15 maybe one stop. But for any serious judgement, I need to make more photos with it and need time for the SD15 and SPP 4,1,1 learning curve :)

Best wishes

The Jtat adapter is only for the SD10. The SD14 and SD15 have a different shape of the mount. The JTAT adapter does not fit on them.
Huh? From what I've read on internet (and what I can see on JTAT site), JTAT M42-SD adapter seems pretty usable on all SA mount cameras. JTAT Nikon-SD adapter uses outer bayonet and cannot be used on SD14 and SD15.

But of course I've not seen this adapter live and can't gurantee that it fits.

Waiting for comments?

I picked-up one of these...from eBay...from Orchidspace.com

View attachment 2063

View attachment 2064

I have not had an issue with them....works great... you need to be carefull with making sure the lens is locked into place...but for 13USD you can not beat it...

and it worked on my SD10 when I had it...and works with all my SD14's....you just need to put the f-Stop on the camera to 1 and use everything in Manual mode...no shutter or aperture priority with them...

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Attachments

Huh? From what I've read on internet (and what I can see on JTAT site), JTAT M42-SD adapter seems pretty usable on all SA mount cameras. JTAT Nikon-SD adapter uses outer bayonet and cannot be used on SD14 and SD15.

But of course I've not seen this adapter live and can't gurantee that it fits.

Waiting for comments?

Hi

this is my fault. I only thought at the JTAT Nikon Adapter. I did not know, that they offer also a M42 adapter....

Best wishes

you just need to put the f-Stop on the camera to 1 and use everything in Manual mode...no shutter or aperture priority with them...

Well, I'm using A[perture priority] mode all the time with M42 lens (actually with all lens, unless I'm shooting panos) and it is working very well. Some users claim that using different aperture value may change exposure to more precise, but for me F/1.0 is good enough.

Of course shutter priority won't work :)

@dirk
No problem, there's always some confusion about JTAT Nikon and M42 to SD adapters.

Those Chinese-made adapters are cheap, but they are cheap for a very good reason...They dont have an AA pin compressor flange built in so most M42 lenses would be stuck wide open all the time on a Sigma DSLR when using said adapter.
The Chrome plated Brass JTAT version is more expensive, but it has the flange built in and is precision made to high tolerances on C.N.C machines to fit, so it fits perfectly and works perfectly with any M42 lens on any SA mount camera.
The Aluminium Polish-made adapters, whether they are in Black, Silver or "Titanium" anodized finish, are the next best option...They too have the flange built in but due to slacker machining tolerances (They are hand made!) they can sometimes be a bit tight when you screw them onto an M42 lens, depending on the lens, and sometimes a bit tight when mounting them on a Sigma DSLR. However, they are half the price of the JTAT version so you get what you pay for.

Read this version of my post for more detail...

Those Chinese-made adapters are cheap, but they are cheap for a very good reason...They dont have an AA pin compressor flange built in so most M42 lenses would be stuck wide open all the time on a Sigma DSLR when using said adapter. I would avoid them for that reason. Their front flange is very thin, like an M42-PK adapter (which they are probably derived from) and so infinity focus cannot be guarenteed with all M42 lenses when using one of those.
The Chrome plated Brass JTAT version is certainly more expensive (well OK, its the most expensive version), but it has the AA pin compressor flange built in and they are precision made to high tolerances on C.N.C machines to fit, so it fits perfectly and works perfectly with any M42 lens on any SA mount camera.
The Aluminium Polish-made adapters, whether they are in Black, Silver or "Titanium" anodized finish, are the next best option...They too have the flange built in but due to slacker machining tolerances (They are all hand made!), they can sometimes be a bit tight to screw onto an M42 lens, depending on the lens, and sometimes a bit tight when mounting them on a Sigma DSLR. However, they are half the price of the JTAT version so you get what you pay for.

Back