Tripod recommendations

G

Hi,

Any recommendations for a good tripod? Looking for a "full size" one, not the table top tripod. Been looking at Gitzo and Bogen, they seem to be prominent names in this category.

What do you use?

Thanks,

Daniel

G

Well for still photography I use a Bogen /Manfrotto # 3001 with a # 3030 head.
For video I use a #3211 tripod (black) with a #3160 head .The #3160 head allows for very smooth
tilts and pans.I love the Quality of the Bogen/Manfotto line .
Ray Thibaut

G

I have a black Bogen middle weight (I don't recall the number) but I hardly use it. They seem to be good solid tripods and are a good price. I can see if I had to carry one on a regular basis I would spring the extra money for a lighter weight one like the Gitzo.
I have had some thoughts about picking up a Bogen monopod to have the edge on really low light situations without too much of a constant weight burden. Hope this helps.
Oh, I the middle weight ball head that adapts for both large and smaller thread sizes. It is a threaded lug inside of a hollow stud type deal. It's nice for the Rolleiflex and view cameras too, I suppose.
Garth Liebhaber garthliebhaber@hotmail.com

G

Daniel, I have a slightly off beat recomendation I have been using since 1976 Slik Master deluxe tripods the model number is 300DX. I have two both purchased on ebay used and both for under $40.00 the head isn't one of my favorite but is strong and smooth. I have a Canon Ballhead 10 on one and a Canon Pro ballhead on the other. I use these pods with up to my 400mm f4.5 and a 2X-A with never the slightest problems. They have large diameter legs with solid collet style locks and a very study center column. extends to well over 6' not to heavy and with some nice gray Pipe insulation around the top sections very comfortable to carry with m Canon F-1N winder and 400mm f4.5 + 2X-A. I will be getting a 500mm f4.5 thing spring and expect the tripod to work quite well with it also. I will also be upgradinbg to a Wimberly style mount (but I'm building it myself)
Do a google search for Slik tripods and you will find lots of info. Might try a search on ebay for a good used one.

Hope this helps

Mark W.

G

Hi,I use a Velbon Max i 343E, that weights 2 lbs and comes within a nylon bag to be carried on your shoulder. Plus a (plastic)Hama quick release. I use it with a M6 TTL and a XPan. To me is quite practical, light to carry around everywhere, very fast to set up and sturdy enough (with a grain of salt). I always use a Spirit Level if lines are a concern, like in arquitecture, horizon...
This package in USA cost for the Tripod, bag and quick release about a bit over $100. And I loved so much I bought 4 Hama quick releases at $19 each, one for each camera I use. If you could live with its few limitations is a great choice. If you want to go more pricy and sturdy go for the gitzo 1127 at over $300 or 360.
Those are my choices for light tripods that you can carry, for a tripod that stays at home takes no pictures, it just gathers dust.
Thanks.
X.

G

I used Gitzo for a tripod for my fieldtrip with small, medium and large format cameras. Works wonderful for uneven terrain like slop, river bed, forest floor bed. Go very low. All three legs works independently. Rugged, heavy duty equipment, imperative for tripod dependent shooting trip. There will be situation where you will require independent legs to make that important shots. Please do not compromise for quality, I have paid a heavy price for compromising.

G

Daniel

As always, it depends on your camera and lens and the type of shooting you like to do.

I have an R8 with motor drive and like to use long lenses. I will also set up and work very slowly - that is, I'm not constantly on the move.

I have chosen a Gitzo 1349. This gives a very solid and stable platform and the carbon fiber legs d&en vibrations well. The 1349 includes a center post which I find a necessary convenience. Weight was not a primary issue as I mounted an Arca-Swiss B1G head (heavy but necessary with heavy off balance lenses).

I have found this size sufficient, the 15xx series, though larger, don't seem necessary to do the job. If in doubt though, oversize. Also, try the set up at a shop and while looking through the viewfinder have someone give the rig a good thump. That will be informative!!

G

I use the Leica M6. Does anyone have advice on which tripod head would be the best?

Also, any recommendations for tripods?

G

I use a Gitzo Carbon Fibre Model 1128 with offset ball head G1276M and = like it very much. I have used Slik models and also have a (very little used, though I used to use it) Benbo. The Gitzo head has a quick release plate which is very useful as when using more than one camera body you can = have a plate on each camera and swap them easily. Carbon fibre is more = expensive but lighter and more stable. It's weight advantage makes it worth the = extra over alloy models if you walk any distance with the tripod. The = Manfrotto models seem good too, the main difference as I see it being the levers = (as opposed to twist grips) on the legs.

G

[Hello Eugene,

I would recommend a small Type Gitzo and a small Gitzo Ball head! That's the Leica under the Tripod's!

Extreme good Quality lightweight and stabile!

Best Regards!

Julius Eric Thomas]

G

I have been using Manfrotto 055 w/141RC head coupled to both my SLR and M6. Overall good results.

G

Dear Photographers,
Any kind of tripod, be it made of wood, metal or any kind of material or regardless of brand. You don't need to have the strength of an elephant leg to hold sturdy a body of a mice. Like all legs, be independent of each other, then you have a free movement of how to anchor those tripods to the ground. Any ground level or terrain. There's no guarantee you'll get a sharp image with a sturdy tripod on an unsturdy ground.
Use some creative thinking and a bit of engineering.

G

Gitzo! I've had one for many years. Dang thing is a tank. Quality. It will last you forever.

G

when I use a tripod, which is quite rare, I use

A: the Leica Tabletop, and

B: a nice wooden tripod.

Wooden tripods are kinder to the hands in winter, and accept shock better, and they have an elegance that few metal tripods possess. Plus, they weight the same as the same size metal tripod.

Sonny