DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss G 16mm HOLOGON Lens

F

focusnetwork

I've mentioned this lens before, but I can't stop thinking about adding it to my kit. If ANYONE has experience of this lens or owns one, please share your thoughts because I am intriuged. Now seems to be a good time to buy. I reckon if I search hard enough I'll be able to get one for less than £600 / $1000. They are currently selling in the back of Amateur Photographer for no less than £1000 / $1600, so if I don't like it I could make a profit. Your thoughts please...

James,
I just got one from B&H in New York for $900, but haven't taken any pictures yet. It was a "used" demo, but seemed like new in box. I'm impressed by the look and feel of the lens, and intend to try it out soon, possibly this weekend. Don't know how familiar you are with it, but there are three pieces to it -- lens, viewfinder, and 4x gradation filter. It comes in a nice hard leather case. There's a bubble level that can be seen in the viewfinder. It's fixed f8 and you set the exposure compensation to +2 with the filter in place.
I think they have others in stock if you're interested.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/. Look for 35mm lenses in the used department.
Mike

Out of interest, does the 16mm hologon come with any kind of protective filter to protect the front element i.e. a UV or skylight; if not is one available? I don't want to own a lens worth this much with risk of scratching it or even having the front element open to air and dust etc.

There is no protective filter for this lens and nobody makes one. Also there is no threads on the lens so there is no way to screw one in. It comes with center ND4 filter that slips on and makes the lens f16. By no means this filter would provide a tight protection like a screw in UV filter. But it would protect the front element from fingerprints. Lens also comes with a finder that has a buble level build in and leather case. I found that lens cap can get pretty loose so I put two pieces of gaffers tape on the ring of the lens to make it tight. I used this lens on many occasions but month back I switched to Voigtlander Bessa L and 15mm lens ($430 for camera+lens). This is a faster lens with very similar quality and half the price. Don't get me wrong, Hologon is a great piece of glass but it's too dark for me too shoot with it on daily bases. I very rarely use anything over 100 when it comes to film and with f8 (or f16 when filter is on) there is not much you can do without a tripod. But with the prices of Contax lenses falling down maybe it's a good idea to pick one up. I got mine from KEH. B&H has them too but since I live in NYC I didn't want to pay tax. Hope that helps,

Matt

I got one in Hong Kong and cost me US$700. It is a great lens but not a practical lens indeed. Owning this lens is a temptation.... I do not use the 4x filter and image quality is great expecially there is no distortion. You better to have a separate body for this lens so you can snapshot on the street in ease. Otherwise you may get trouble in changing the lens. It is not a easy task.!

I have to agree to what has already been said:
However excellent the Hologon may be, at f16 there are hardly ever suitable moments (if you want to hand-hold it).
I will unload mine. The Voigtlaender is clearly a more practical lens, and there is an adaption available for Contax G.

Till

Till said "there is an adaption available for Contax G" for Voigtlaender lenses

Are you sure? I only know of an adapter for classic Contax rangefinders Is it made by Voigtlaender?

Regards, Faisal

Thanks gv but at 849$ I would rather get the Voigtlander lens body combo for almost half the price.

Still I am curious. On the site it is mentioned that the conversion can use the distance finder on the G2 dos that mean it uses the focusing dial and can the g2 confirm focus with this lens?

Regards,

Faisal

Hello, can someone please fully explain to me the Voigtlander option. What lens is it? (ie. what fit/mount), where can I find a converter? What is the minimum aperture? How do you frame shots? Thanks for this.

Back