DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Wide angle viewfinders

Thanks Joseph: As yourself I do not like additional finders for many reasons.They are bulky and many times you have to take them off to put the camera in the bag , something I try always to do between photos.They fit on the flash socket and you have two windows to look through to make a photo. As I like the 24 mm. focal lense when I bought a new body I chose the 0,58x.I prefered some framing errors than the aditional finder. What I did is some tests. With the camera on a tripod and a wall , I looked through the camera finder and,in a relaxed eye position ( this may vary from one person to another ),I marked the wall limits as seen. Took some photos . Did the same moving the eye arround the finder.Results where as I wrote on my previous mail.Without moving the eye what you see in the finder is a little bit less than what appears in the photo. For me more than enough for 95% of situations. When you move your eye arround it is more or less the same coverage as the 24mm. lense.I know the expression "move your eye" is not very precise either as you can move it a lot or not. But I speak about something reasonable. It would be interesting to do the same simple test with an external finder to see if they are more accurate or not. I have no experience on a M3 . I am tempted to buy one........ someday. But if you have one and a 35mm , go for a tripod , a wall , some chalk or equivalent and do the test yourself. You will test it including your own habit of looking through the finder.

Regards ,Mariano

I don't use the 24mm but the 35mm FL situation with the M3 sounds similar to that as described above for the 24 on the 0.58x. The 35s with eyes for the M3 work well enough for them not be a problem in my experience. They also give the camera a certain distinguished look. You either love them or hate them. But I had had times when I've had to use a 35mm lens without a finder.

Mariano, beware if you do eventually get an M3 in the future, you will be ruined forever. But then again I’m rather biased toward the original and the best.

And also for those like your self with English as a second or third language, nobody in the English speaking world really has a proper grasp of our exasperatingly frustrating language. In my experience the Dutch have the best all round English (written and spoken). Only about 10% of the English (those who live just outside Greater London) can actually speak the English language, and you have to go to Scotland to find someone who has any appreciation of English grammar and nobody can understand the Scots. In short your written word like many other non-English speakers on Forum reads beautifully. I should take up English as a second language to improve my writing.

Written with some jest, but there is a degree of true in it.

Best regards, Craig

>I use a 35/2.8 with eyes because I have no other 35. I believe is not so comfortable but the camera looks great! I'm waiting for to use it in my new M3.

Some day, in a walk with my family, another guy who carry a Nikon F5 with a bulky long zoom can't stop to look at my camera.

To Justin and Craig: thank you for your comments about our not so good English! We are grateful that you understand that is more important our common interest in photography.

Best wishes,

Patricio

> [Ciao Mariano

I have the vintage M3 DS which was recently totally overhauled by a Leicamaster in England and black painted - he did a wonderful job and I almost could not recognise my own camera!

I have the Summicron 35/2, Summaron 35/2.8 recently CLA by DAG and the latest 35/1.2 by Voigtlander/Cosina

I intend to try all of them using your method and see how the pictures turn out ( without the 35 vf of which I have the classic Leica SBLOO and the original by Cosina Voigtlander.

Will let you know the results.

Sincerely

Joseph Low

Joseph,

Out of interest, who and where was this Leicamaster? I am in England, = and this could be useful to know for future reference.

Jonathan

> [ Hi Jonathan

This Leicamaster was recommended to me by Dr Joseph Yao of HK - himself a Leicaphile and collector - email joseph@yao.com

Understand the Leicamaster does not do one off jobs and only on recommendation

Joseph Low

There have been some great things said about the new (metal body) CV finder. My guess is that any metal bright line finder from CV will be great. I have not had to get one yet as my old Leica is still working. When it falls apart, that is the direction I am moving. Take a look at www.camerquest.com for info.

Best Regards,

B2 (;->

Back