CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

TTL metering on Aria in B&W photography using enhancement filters

M

mikel

Hey!

I have a question for anyone using Aria with B&W film and any enhancement filters (such as B+W 041 red-orange filter). I suspect that TTL doesn't work properly when the filter is mounted, since I just ran a test roll of HP5 and I noticed that there is a significant underexposure when relying on TTL to set exposure information. When i dial-in +2 exposure compensation, it seems to be okay.

So, the question is, is this something wrong with my particular Aria or it's the case with others?

What about yellow-green and green filters also?

Thanks,
Mike.

kgardas

> I have a question for anyone using Aria with B&W film and any > enhancement filters (such as B+W 041 red-orange filter). I suspect > that TTL doesn't work properly when the filter is mounted, since I > just ran a test roll of HP5 and I noticed that there is a significant > underexposure when relying on TTL to set exposure information. When i > dial-in +2 exposure compensation, it seems to be okay.

Mike,

Luca de Alfaro's Aria review available on
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
seems to agree with your finding, that the Aria meter is just oversensitive to red, although he recommend to use +1 2/3 compensation. :)

Cheers,

Karel

M

mikel

Karel,

Very interesting. Although he talks about +1 2/3 compensation for 090 filter (light red in B+W catalog), while he calls it Orange Red. 041 is Orange-Red that I'm using and unless numbers have changed at B+W, I assume Luca made a mistake. In any case, I'm actually curious how he determined the proper compensation, since I simply determined this experimentally, by actually looking on the negatives exposed with different level of compensation. The ones with +2 stop compensation are most dense, without any loss of detail and prints are nice. On HP5 at least.

I'm going to try couple more rolls I guess.

Mike.