DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Rangefinder adjustment on original Contax T

M

mike_nunan

I was very happy to become the owner of one of these gems a couple of weeks ago, and I have been carrying it around non-stop ever since. I was very UNhappy, however, when on Friday my partner dropped it good and hard onto a stone surface. Apart from some cosmetic damage to the corner top plate, which I can live with, the main problem is that the rangefinder is now way out. Looking at the two rolls I'd shot before the incident, I'm not sure it was very accurate in the first place, but now it is worse and shows some vertical misalignment too.

The top cover is only secured by three screws so I removed it to have a look. I was hoping to find a nice obvious adjuster for the rangefinder, but I suppose on a camera this small it was a bit optimistic to expect that not to be buried in the gubbins somewhere. If there is such an adjuster, I suspect it is beneath the viewfinder assembly itself, which would make it a bit of a mission to get to. If anyone knows for sure whether there is actually an adjuster, then I might give it a try. I know this is a real outside chance, but can anyone provide any hints or tips (apart from "take it to a repairer" ;))

TIA

-= mike =-

What very bad luck Mike. I don't suppose that an insurance claim is an = option and look for another one? although I know they are rare.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the vote of sympathy. An insurance claim is the back-up option, and that's the only reason I'm willing to attempt a DIY repair. They are indeed rare these days, especially in black. Also, it would break my heart to see a fine camera like this end up on the scrap heap unless there is absolutely no other way.

-= mike =-

PS. I assume you were referring to finding another camera rather than finding another girlfriend ;o)

Mike, my sympathy for you on the injury of your T.
sad.gif
Check out this page: Contax/Yashica Repair Info http://www.cdegroot.com/photo/ycrepair/ List of a couple books, and a discussion (email) group. I belong to the email group even though I'm not ready to bravely open up any of my own gear yet. It's a very LOW volume list, but good. I was given the name of a repair guy who I might send my FX-103 to for a good CLA. This is what was said about him: (quote
happy.gif
Mark Hama, http://www.markhama.com/, used to work for Yashica in Japan and now has a repair place in Georgia. For a simple internal cleaning he may be overkill, but he is well respected.(end quote) Good luck! -Lynn

I have a contax mount 200mm f3.5 Zeiss telephoto lens. I don't have the manuels on this lens, I 'm wondering what style it is, a mm or ae lens. It was purchased new in 1983. Can anyone let me now what style it is? Thanks

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for that link; very useful info on there. I've ordered the Thomas Tomosy books from Amazon, as they look generally useful (I've got two old cameras that are out of action at the moment, so if I'm going to start wielding the screwdriver I may as well see what I can do with them too). Unfortunately I'm in the UK so Mark Hama's a bit far away from here.

Best regards,

-= mike =-

I do my repair to my COntax T
There are three adjustments you need to do.
1.vertical aligment
you need not to open up the top. Just remove the plastic plug which just behind the winding handle and adjust the screw inside.
2. infinite setting
I don't think you need to do this. However, mis aligment between the lens and the viewfinder may present. focus the lens to infinity and chk if the rangefinder is ok or not. If not, adjust the screw inside the lens house (left top, you may need to remove the film rail and the light block )
Hope you can fix this gem...

Hi Leo,

Thanks very much for that information. I hadn't noticed the adjustment screw behind the winding lever, so I will have a look at that as soon as I get back tonight. I did have a quick look in the lens housing, hoping there would be an access hole into the underside of the viewfinder, and I didn't see anything promising, but then I hadn't removed the parts you describe.

There is a mis-alignment at infinity, but it appears to be fairly small. With the lens set to the 4m mark, the RF shows an object to be in focus when it is around 3.5m from the camera. I'm not sure whether to measure from the lens (or the nodal point) or the film plane for best accuracy, or indeed whether the lens barrel markings can even be relied upon. (I know that to get this really right I should check the image on ground glass at the film plane, but I don't have a suitable piece of glass to use.)

Anyway, thanks again for your help, I'm very grateful indeed. I'm off now to continue our interesting discussion on scanner resolutions in the other thread!

Best regards,

-= mike =-

Hi Mike,
I am living in Hong Kong. SO here is a night time. May be I can take some photos showing you where to adjust the focus and how to perform the adjustment of this loving camera. It is good if you can take care of this camera by yourself since you are the most reliable repairman. You can train yourself be the T expert. It is easy!
enjoy using contax T
Leo

Back