DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax T3 vs. Contax TVS III

G

In considering a new Contax P&S, how would you compare the T3 to the TVS-III in terms of quality of image, durability of the camera, handling, etc. Right now, looks like good demo models are available on the TVSIII with zoom that are about the same price as the T3 (just under $700). Or, should I stay away from both and get G1 for a little more?

thanks

Jeff,

I have read about considerable vignetting with TVS III.
Perhaps someone actually using it can report on this.

> I had a TVS III that did exhibit vignetting, especially when the flash was used. I ended up selling the camera. >

You don’t seem to get too much vignetting, but as said above you do get some when flash is used. This is also the case with the T2 and slightly with the T3. I think distortion at 30mm is the biggest problem and a very slow lens.

As to comparison between the two. I think they are both very well built; the draw bridge is not going to fall off. The T3 is defiantly a better lens. The controls on the TVS are really fiddly. T3 seems more instinctive.

I brought the TVS 3 to sell as I brought it for really silly money (help pay for the T3) but have ended up keeping it, has really has grown on me. Probably take more photos on the TVS, but take better ones on the T3 as the fixed lens makes you think more. If my wife put pressure on me to sell one, (being self indulgent having them both). Would probably be by a whisker be the TVS.

Both these cameras come no where near the G series (can only comment on the G2), but do you want a superb point and shoot, or a superb camera system.

I made different experiences with my TVS III. First of all I really like the outfit and feeling when using it. Good viewfinder. I would have preferred a different lens protection, but you get used to it. I am missing definitely a filter adapter. Big mistake not to offer one after the TVS I and II had one. I guess a compromise to this flop door lens cover.

The battery consumption is normal and acceptable, even with 30% flash usage. A flash adapter system like with the T3 would have been also a better solution then the existing one. With the zoom-lens I have mixed experiences. If you use a slow film like Velvia, it vignettes like hell at 30mm in all f-stops and in the second and third zoom position in the first 2 f-stops.

If you use i.e. Fuji Sensia 100, you will not see vignetting that much, but you will still see it. So the faster the film , the better for the TVS III. Since The TVS III zoom is very slow (but industry standard), especially at 60mm, a faster film makes sense anyway.

The lens quality is for a P&S very good, definitely better then the TVS II and I, which have both the same lens. But not as good as the T3. The T3 is even better then my G2/35 combo in picture quality.

I would highly recommend the TVS III if you want to stay flexible while travelling, because of the zoom and the possibility (compared to the Minilux Zoom) to set your own preferences manually. A joy to use, but with space for improvements.

At this price I would have opted more for a 35-60mm zoom for the TVS III but with less vignetting and faster aperture. But you can not have it all. I am sure, if we would have a price tag of 2000 Euro, they would have made a better lens, but who would be willing to put so much money on the table for a P&S? And if it then would be even better then the Contax SLR lenses, who would then buy the SLR?

Dirk

As the topic has gotten pretty free-ranging anyway I'll chime in with my sense that the T3's Sonnar seems to stack up well against the G's 35mm Planar. The camera itself, of course, isn't nearly as capable as a G2, but is an amazingly competent 8 ounces.

One of these days I'm going to aim the T3 and the G's 35 and 35-70 zoom at a registration chart to do some test slides so I can see what the differences might be, but in my shots I can in no way find fault with the little Sonnar.

As to the original question, I'm sorry that I have no experience with the TVSIII, but I don't know that I'd trade the zoom's utility for the Sonnar's speed, even ignoring the price difference.

--Rick

I am looking for a P & S with a quality zoom lens.
The TVS III vignettes like hell (at 30mm), according to some comments.

The other option is the old TVS II. Does the TVS II also suffer from serious vignetting at 28mm ?

Why spent so much money on a camera which suffers from vignetting?

Kind regards,
Melvin

Sob, sob... I just bought a TVS III a few hours ago. I hope it isn´t as bad as it seems from reading these posts. I guess I will use ASA 400 film only.

There there don’t you worry. If you where after a compact point and shoot with a zoom lens you have got your self a winner, it does not get much better then this. All the things you read on this camera are just subjective. A lot of people have used a TVS 2 and compare this camera with there new TVS 3, and of cause people are people and things were always better, and may be they were.
I like you have never used a TVS 2 so I am not going to worry my self about how better it might be. All I am going to do is get pleasure out of the razor sharp well contrasted photos this little baby produces.
Yes some things would have improved this camera as they would my T3 or my G2 or any other camera equipment we may own, but all in all this camera in my eyes achieves what it set out to do.
Enjoy
Kirk

I have a question for all the Contax TVSIII users out there. It is my
understanding that this camera comes standard with 2 straps, one
carrying strap with embossed Contax logo and one hand strap. (The
carrying strap is different from the optional Contax Deluxe carrying
strap which is made of leather) I would like to purchase the carrying
strap with embossed Contax logo and would like to know if anyone knows
the part number or perhaps is willing to sell me theirs. Thanks.

Pete

Back