DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Double Exposure on Hasselblad CFV-50

Claudio

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to do a double exposure on the DFV-50 digital back by Hasselblad.

I can't find anything about it in the user manual - is that even possible?

Many thanks for any tips!

Claudio

PS: Does anyone know how to do this on a Canon 5D Mark III?

Claudio, I looked at the manual for the CFV-50c available on the web and it appears that there is no double exposure mode in at least that model digital back.
However, if you are industrious, you can still create a double exposure using one of two ways;

1. Set the digital back exposure time to be longer than the time required to take both of the exposures you plan to make.
Don't connect the cable that goes between the camera and the back, so the back won't know that you are taking multiple exposures.
Manually trigger the exposure on the back.
Take the first exposure with the camera.
Move the camera to the next setup for your multiple exposure.
Take the next exposure.
Wait for the digital back to complete the exposure you set in the back.
Presto, you have a double exposure in one image.

2. The second way to do what you want is to take two separate exposures and merge them together in Photoshop.

Technique number 2 will also work with your Canon 5D Mark III, or really any digital camera.

I hope this helps,

Hi Win32forth,

Many thanks for your reply and the detailed instructions. However my fault entirely: I actually shoot on a a 503CW body so there's no communication between the back and the body. I guess this can't be done then other than in photoshop or with an film back. I think I will try both and see how it goes.

Thanks again for your help!

All the best

Claudio

Claudio,

there is some sort of communication between the 503CW and the digital back, i.e. there is the little catch/pin on the upper right back of the camera body which is touching the adjoining gold contacts on the digital back in order to trigger/flush the sensor to be ready to receive the next exposure. That's exactly the reason why this camera (or all 500 series bodies) do(es)n't need a synchronizing cable between lens and back. If you want to do double exposure in-camera/back as 'Win32forth' described I'd suggest to put some insulation sheet between the catch and gold contacts and trigger the back externally by using e.g. a cable release which fits into the 2.5mm socket. (Pentax or Canon cable releases do fit) But then you have to choose the proper trigger mode in the menu and to extend the exposure/sync time accordingly as well.

Regards, Udo

Hi Udo,

Thanks very much for explaining - that makes perfect sense and I’ll give it a go...

All the best

Claudio

Claudio,

you're welcome. Hope it works out as desired. Are you using the CFV-50 with CCD sensor?

Best regards,
Udo

Back