DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New(ish) OM-5 Owner Here. Very Happy.

David

A couple months ago I moved from Nikon FF (Z6 II) to m43, specifically the OM-5. I've been a Nikon user for many years but having recently retired and planning on a lot of travel, the thought of carrying around a FF camera and a couple lenses didn't make me happy. I wanted to be able to capture my travels at a quality level beyond a smart phone but at the same time, not wanting to make taking pictures the main purpose of my travels. The OM-5 is perfect for my needs. So darn light and small, even with a couple lenses. It's super capable and it's a camera that I can grow into should I decide to make photography a hobby.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences and learning from other here.

That was a good decision. Nothing against Nikon, I have also a Nikon system besides other systems. But nothing beats the compactness and leightweight of MFT.

In MFT I use Lumix cameras, but this is just personal preferences. Nowadays all cameras are good. But I love tiny. I have i.e. a Lumix GM5 which is insane small. Plus a Lumix GX9.

The MFT lenses are very good and of course, light and small.

If you look for extremely small, have a look at the Lumix 12-32 zoom. This is like a pancake and the optical quality for that size and price very good.

I didn't want to get too small as my hands are a bit large so the ergonomics are a factor. The OM-5 has just enough of a grip to be comfortable.

Regarding lenses, I recall reading in a few places that there's something about m43 and the lens design that allows for better corner/edge correction, something about the light hitting the sensor more directly, on much less of an angle, that makes for better sharpness. I no longer have any of my Nikon FF equipment so I can't test this out directly but for the lenses that I now have, specifically the 12-45mm, which is similar to my Nikkor S 24-70mm f/4, I can sure see what I think is much better resolution in the corners. And, these m43 lenses are smaller/cheaper as well. Love it.

yes. This was the marketing from Olympus when they started first FT and then later MFT. But Nikon with their very big Z-lens mount can do this now too. Most brands use computational software correction to correct the lens design within the camera already.

I put on our MFT sister site an overview table with all native lenses of MFT. Have a look:

I didn't know about the MFT site. I'll head over there in a minute.

That 12-32 is sure small and it has OIS? Do you know if that OIS would work in concert with my OM-5 giving me the 7.5 stop stabilization that I can get with Olympus lenses?

That 12-32 is sure small and it has OIS?
No, unfortunately not Dual OIS with Olympus (edited, see below). I forgot also to put that zoom in the overview-spreadsheet. Have to do that the next days.

I have many MFT lenses, so if you have questions, feel free to ask here or in the MFT-only forum.

What is great with MFT: You can put it in the very small safes of hotels. Perfect when you travel.

Last edited:
Well, that's OK. With a lens that small the body's IBIS would be plenty. I'm going to have to look into that one. I would sure make the camera "jacket pocket" friendly.

Talking about small: That is a Lumix GM5 with the 12-32 zoom extracted.

panasonic-gm5.jpg

I didn't know about the MFT site. I'll head over there in a minute.

That 12-32 is sure small and it has OIS? Do you know if that OIS would work in concert with my OM-5 giving me the 7.5 stop stabilization that I can get with Olympus lenses?
Yes, the 12-32mm has OIS. It supports Dual IS 1 and 2, on Panasonic cameras, but Dual IS is not available with Oly or OM bodies.

Yes, the 12-32mm has OIS. It supports Dual IS 1 and 2, on Panasonic cameras, but Dual IS is not available with Oly or OM bodies.

Thanks for the clarification. I was not sure with Olympus cameras.

Back