DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New Contax Digital

Sooo ... a new 16M-Pixel EOS 1Ds Mark 2 from Canon ... anything from Contax? Hello? Is there anybody at Kyocera?

Oh, well ...
sad.gif

OK, it's four days before Photokina - I'm going to take a wild guess and predict that Kyocera / Contax will be announcing no new Contax ND. On that basis, I'm starting to make a Canon-based wish list, starting with an EOS 1Ds Mark II body.

The question is, would it be practical to get a CZ adapter and CZ lenses, assuming giving up autofocus is an acceptable trade-off for the glass improvement in the zooms? Are there any other problems in this approach - light fall-off, focusing problems and such?

And if CZ lenses are practical, is it more convenient to get one adapter per lens and change the lens/adapter combo, or keep the adapter on the body and change the lens on the adapter?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

DJ
The Impatient One

Hi DJ, That Canon will most likely be quite expensive. AND, I have it on good authority that there is a 24 meg Canon full frame already being tested. That camera is suppose to be available about this time next year. So you may want to be more patient ; -)

As far as lenses are concerned, a Zeiss zoom may be interesting on the Canon, but the L primes are pretty darn good. The 85/1.2 is a killer lens, as is the 135/2. The 35/1.4 is quite good also.

Marc,

Thanks for the feedback. Undoubtedly there will always be something new coming
happy.gif
. I've given that much thought. My philosophy is this:

If you get something new when it first comes out (assuming no big problems are expected / reported), then you'll have the longest time possible with it before it's natural replacement comes out. If you wait too long, then the new thing comes out a few weeks after you just spent your money, and you'll REALLY fell bad
biggrin.gif

The reported list currently going around in DP Review is $7999. Not exactly cheap, but about the same as the 1Ds and much cheaper than a 645 and digital back. 16MP is fine with me, assuming excellent tonal range. I'm going to China in January, and would like to be shooting with the new system by then. Maybe in two / three years I'll get the 32MP secong body ...

I'm looking at all possibilities: all Canon glass, all CZ glass w/ adapter(s), and a mix-n-match. The problem I would have with the mixed Canon/CZ is the differences in overall color appearance. I'd rather have a consistent set of lenses, given some non-critical trade-offs.

My initial target lens list would consist of a wide-to-short-tele zoom as base lens, a tele-range zoom, a fast 85 and a fast 35. But since I'll use the zooms most often, that's what I'm letting drive the decision.

Thanks again for the comments.

DJ

It's true that there will always be something better on the horizon DJ. Plus, I'd say that IF the new Canon adds 5 meg to the 1Ds, AND the more recent processing improvements found in the MKII, it'll be more than enough for almost any application.
There IS a point of diminishing returns after all. 16 meg will give you a 94 meg, 16 bit tiff file. A couple hundred of those on your desk top and....

The reason I mentioned the Zeiss wide zooms is because I think they are far superior to the Canon versions in terms of distortion. But the Primes and longer zooms are a different matter. Processing controls in RAW are so sophisticated that color match is a snap. I mix camera's at weddings frequently and have little problem with color match.

I have a number of adapters for different cameras and lenses and can tell you that once the novelty wears off they may just sit there collecting dust. Stop down metering and manual focus gets old once you get used to the lighting fast Canon 1 series bodies and L primes like the 24/1.4, 35/1.4 and 135/2. Those lenses and body combos literally liquify the image into focus, and they'll do in near dark in a NY nanosecond. The 85/1.2 is slower focusing, but that's because the glass is huge. Then there are the IS lenses. WOW! 200mm at 1/60th of a second opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Wanna sell your ND?

"Wanna sell your ND?"

Nope
happy.gif
. I'll keep it for a while even if I get the 1Ds ... I'm sentimental, and it's back-up, something I'm sure you're well acquainted with
biggrin.gif

So you do need to do the old stop-down routine - that will get old real quick. I wasn't sure if there was any kind of electronic linkage from the lens through the adapter - obviously not, and that sucks, as it means no viewfinder reading of the f-stop either.

Many thanks for the excellent feedback, Marc! Well, we still have three days of hoping left ...

>You guys remind me of a bunch of kids waiting for Old Saint Nick. I will >be delighted just to have something digital that will hold my SLR lenses. >I don't even care if it has a meter.. I think my favorite 25mm 2.8 will >spend the rest of his life on the RTS. That will be as long as slide film >is still around.

I feel more like a Wall Street hustler waiting for some corporate announcements so he can figure out what to buy and what to sell
sad.gif

Guess you are one of many Djg . I am also waiting to see , but then I get disappointed by high prices and agonise will the results give me more cash. Have been trying the new Kodak which works well in studio but perhaps I may go for the 1ds if the price dropsfollowing the new model as writeups of old model appear strong. I used to change my car and my camera remained the same....but its fun!

Chris Rice

Back