DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Old Summicron 90mm SEOOM

J

jgea

I have acquired a very nice 90mm Summicron ca. 1960 s/n 1742368.. When I opened the box, I was surprised to see It is on Visoflex mount.
I have a Visoflex, but I would have liked to use it without it. I have the following two questions:

First: Is there a ring that will allow to mount it directly on the M3? (the drawing on the side of the box suggests there is)

Second question: I tried to mount it on my Leicaflex SL via adapter 14167. This adapter takes the OUBIO, and Viso lenses like the Telyt 280/4.8. However, this lens will not turn into the adapter, it cannot be mounted.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Juan
67694.jpg

Dear Juan

I have the same lens in its original M mount which when dismantled is then coupled to the short focusing mount (ZOOEP)

With this combination - you use the 14167 to mount on your R or Leicaflex.

So the lens is a "dual" in that it can be used either as a M or R

Borrowing the description from Justin Scott - the ZOOEP is a work of art.

But it is quite difficult to come by.

Joseph Low / Singapore

Dear Dr. Low,

Thank you very much-- this at least gives me hope I will be able to use it at some point in the future. I can be patient. It also gives me a way of looking for the piece I need!

This particular lens looks almost unused. Really beautiful after more than 40 years.

Juan

Dear Juan

Firstly I am not a doctor - but a simple individual - who happens to enjoy cameras and photography. The good doctor and Leicaphile known in these threads is Dr Joseph Yao of HK.

Yes old Leica lenses display a distinct patina besides being products of old world quality manufacturing practices - thus my own love of chrome lenses of that era.

Good luck with your search for the ZOOEP

Best regards

Joseph Low / Singapore

Dear Joseph,
Please accept my apologies, and allow me to ask you two more questions.

1. How does one separate the optical group from the mount? I tried to unscrew, but it does not seem towork (Maybe I am not applying enough strength??)

2. I have found a picture of the ZOOEP. Is this it? This seems to be the piece already on the lens! It has a bayonet mount and fits perfectly on a Visoflex II. If this is the case, I should try to find the "original M mount" you mentioned. (And, of course, I don't understand why it does not mount onto the 14167...)

Thanks,

Juan
67697.jpg

Dear Juan

Yes this is a ZOOEP and if it is already on your lens - then you are home.

Best regards

Joseph Low

Dear Joseph,
Thanks again. I think I got it: I just donned latex gloves and with them on I was able to disassemble the optical group and confirm the lower part of the lens is, indeed, a ZOOEP.
Still with the gloves on, I just tried harder and got the thing mounted on the 14167 on the Leicaflex. Now it mounts and unmounts just fine.
Thank you so much for your guidance-- your answers gave me the confidence I needed to apply more strength.
Now all I need is the "longer focusing ring" to mount it on the M3. Does anyone know which one would that be? The 16462 perhaps?
Thanks

Juan

Hello Juan,

When you are looking for a long mount for your 90mm Summicron (which is extremely difficult) then the small number engraved on it under the word CANADA on the distance scale ring should match the number engraved on your ZOOEP on the same spot. Otherwise focusing will be incorrect. A competent repairman however can adapt the long mount to your individual lens, but really I think that you will not find a long mount at all. It's much easier to find a ZOOEP loose to complete a long mount 90mm Summicron than the reverse.

But it is a fine lens, only when making close ups at full aperture the performance is not so good, on longer distances however it is. Stopping down a little improves the performance a lot.

regards,

Erik

Hello Juan,

When you are looking for a long mount for your 90mm Summicron (which is extremely difficult) then the small number engraved on it under the word CANADA on the distance scale ring should match the number engraved on your ZOOEP on the same spot. Otherwise focusing will be incorrect. A competent repairman however can adapt the long mount to your individual lens, but really I think that you will not find a long mount at all. It's much easier to find a ZOOEP loose to complete a long mount 90mm Summicron than the reverse.

But it is a fine lens, only when making close ups at full aperture the performance is not so good, on longer distances however it is. Stopping down a little improves the performance a lot.

regards,

Erik

Back