DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Nodal Points

flutaur

I'm interested in making some triptychs and 360 degree panoramics with subjects near and far to the camera. I hope someone can help me with aligning my lenses in relation to the tripod axis. Is a chart available? Does alignment change with focus distance? I'll use a P50f1.4 or D28f2.8.Thanks

Hi

For panaoramic i would prefer a 90 mm lens in portrait orientation. it needs more pics, but they will fit better together. It's helpful to use something like a sprit-level. There are tripodheads available with builtin things like this.

Hans Villars, Switzerland

Kurt, good luck with your panoramas and triptychs. As Hans has indicated, you will probably find it easier to join your shots together if you avoid using a wide angle lens, although that won't be so much of a problem for triptychs.

I believe that the alignment, and angle of coverage, does change slightly when the focus is altered. For that reason, I have always relied on depth of field around the hyperfocal distance, at a small aperture, to include relatively close objects in a panorama. Try to avoid having a close object overlapping shots to be joined.

The most critical factor is to keep the frame as level as you can.

I am constructing a website to display some of my photographs, and I have included a few panoramas. You can see them at www.shutterstone.co.uk and I'm sure you will be able to spot room for improvement!

The shot of Mount Robson is made from three frames with a P50 f1.4, and the Grey Corries image is from seven shots with a Hoya 200 f4, from the era of glue and a sharp knife.

For printing a panorama, I combine several onto a single file, with an aspect ratio which matches the formats available at the online printing outfits.

Enjoy yourself, and I hope you'll be searching for a source of long narrow picture frames.

John Keery, United Kingdom

Back