DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Help needed: overexposed pictures with Sigma 18-50 1:2.8 DC EX

dpiol

Hello

I have an issue I recently noticed on my hiking vacation in the swiss alps. Some time ago I replaced my Canon EOS 20D with the new 550D... very happy so far. I kept both my lenses, one of them is the Sigma 18-50 / 1:2,8 / DC EX. I never had a problem with the 20D.

Now, when I take some pictures at excellent light conditions (very sunny!!), some pictures are completely overexposed. If you compare the 2 attached pictures, both are taken at the same time in automatic mode (P) with the Sigma lens:

Taken with: Canon EOS 550D and Sigma 18-50 / 1:2,8 / DC EX

overexposed picture: focal length: 38
exposure time: 1/640 sec
aperture: f/9

good picture: focal length: 50
exposure time: 1/640 sec
aperture: f/9

Exposure and aperture are the same, so I suspect an issue with the lens (some kind of partial incompatibility?).
Also I am pretty sure that I never noticed such a tremendous overexposure with my other lens (Canon 55-250 / 1:4-5,6 / IS).

Anybody has a more precise idea what is going on here ?

Thanks for any help
Domenico

Attachments

• IMG_0428-JPG-1024.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_0428-JPG-1024.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0429-JPG-1024.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_0429-JPG-1024.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 7
It looks like it was a semi-overcast day...maybe the sun peeked out from behind a cloud...I checked your EXF data...they both mirror each other...the only thing I did see is that you had your...

You had the exposure mode as auto...maybe the camera just had a little hickup....?:z04_pc2:

Can you reproduce the issue...??

On another note....the lens is an EX mount...you have a 5 year Sigma warrantee...you might want to send it in to be calibrated and specked out...

Tony C....:z04_cowboy:

Back