CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

US Availability for Contax RXII

keoj

I know that this has been asked prior but I haven't seen a definitive answer yet. I has written Kyrocera, B&H and Delta as well and no one seems to know. Does anyone else have a contact or a rumor as to when it'll be on the market?

J

John_bird

Hi I have heard that the RX2 is not going to be released in USA. This was heard on a contax-request@photo.cis repeatably and H.P of B&H is a regular contributor and he has not contradicted it.

keoj

Hi, an update on the RXII. I just got a note from Delta Intl and they indicated that they could special order an RXII (grey market I'm sure) for $790 USD. Just wanted to pass it along.

Joe

keoj

Coincidentally, I just received a note from Kyocera Corporation and they indicated that the RXII would NOT available in the US at any point in the future.

I find this a bit odd as teh RX seemed to have done well in the US this is the camera I read most abourt when I type in "contax" at google...

O

ou1954

>Posted by Shawn Kearney on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 6:34 am: > >I find this a bit odd as the RX seemed to have done well in the US >this is the camera I read most about when I type in "Contax" at >google...

I sent an inquiry, somehow reaching Kyocera in Japan, not sure how I ended up there.

I said about the same thing, also that the II was available in Hong Kong, and asked what they were going to do about the U.S. market.

They probably won't respond but it was worth the time to try.

swoolf

I thought this had already been discussed recently , anyway , it was Contax U.S. that decided not to import the RX II . Steve

O

ou1954

One group member's comment:

>Posted by Stephen Woolfenden on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 11:30 am: > >I thought this had already been discussed recently , anyway , it was >Contax U.S. that decided not to import the RX II . Steve

The Hong Kong Answer:

Dear Sir, Thank you for your email. If the Kyocera (USA) does not accept the Contax RX II for service, you can send the camera back to us and we will send it back to Kyocera (Japan) for repair. Please do not fill in the warranty card unless a service is needed. If you have any other questions, please kindly contact us. Regards, Photo mate

O

ou1954

>Posted by Shawn Kearney on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 1:24 am: > >Maybe it is because Americans are lazy and prefer auto focus cameras >(that never focus).

That seems to be the case. I was a guest at a San Diego camera club not long ago. It turns out they were almost all retired folks, only shot slides, and had never heard of anything other than 35mm, except for me, my friend, and one memory who taught photography at a local junior college.

They all made slide presentations, and most of them were not properly focused, but there was no comment about that point.

Then this Thursday evening I went to a meeting of the San Diego Underwater Photographic Society (a club I belonged to for 20 years, but haven't been involved with for about 15 years. They were voting on presentations for the U/W film festival to be held here this fall in connection with the 100th anniversary of Scripps Institute of Oceanography. All presentations had been digitized, converted to self-running power point or DAT presentations, and included music synced to the slide subject and/or transition. All had perfect exposure, good composition, and with only a couple of exceptions, were in perfect focus. The ones with focus problems dealt with the "only one chance" subject.

This club was also mostly retired folks who could easily travel anywhere in the world, but they did superb work.

Two clubs, same age group, same city, entirely different levels of photographic skill and care.

D

dfm

I am considering an imported RX II from Delta International. Does anyone have experience with them, particularly with "imported" equipment? They include a 3 year Mack warranty - again any experience with Mack? Thanks in advance!

msadat

I have bought from delta with good sucess, as far as warranty is = concerned, you need to find out about mack=20

rico

Dave,

I contemplated that route for the RX II, but cannot justify another C/Y SLR! Delta is import-oriented, and does it well. I bought my Canon DSLR rig from them, as well as my P50/1.4. An RTS III which I special-ordered took 2 months to arrive, but was just $1700 and factory-fresh. Never used the Mack warranty.

Speaking selfishly, I want you to purchase it and write a review!

D

dfm

Thanks to Rico and Mehrdad for the info - two thumbs up re Delta. I am still wondering about Mack and their ability to service the camera should something go wrong. I will certainly report back if I go ahead with the RX II. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my request.

jsmisc

Dear David,
I had excellent service from Delta International when I bought My Aria body from them last year. I had no criticism of the service whatsoever and at that time the guarantee was an amazing 7 years which so far fortunately,I have not had to test.
The only problem was that importing to the UK, by the time the import duties had been paid, it didn't work out much cheaper, if at all, than buying here - but there was the 7 year warranty and the fun of it all.
John