DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Real but square compare G2 vs Leica Mx

there is no such thing as a "milk-providing, cackling feathered dog which gets the paper for you, recites byron whenever you wish and has a built in microwave with alarm" Everything has it's pro's and cons read any camera forum and you will find the contents of these pro's and con's..... excpet in Leica forums, for some reason to Leica users, Leica's are perfect... I wonder if they actually have photography in their minds when refering to the perfectness.... It is a very good camera I must and do agree on that. But paying a 4x multiple (at least) in order to be able to buy parts within the coming 20 years ... mmmm. And as noted people don't take their Leica's out to play for a scratch cost them $300 ... ! as for end results, and this is what counts in photography I find my Contax unbeatable, even if the lenses are slow(er)I even think my investement in Contax products are actually worth it.
G2 owners are photographers, they take pictures, they take their G2's on vacation,, they actually use what it is meant for... Photography, and it does it very very well. If "Oracle stock" had the same touch and feel as Leica, 50% of Leica owners would have Oracle stocks instead of Leica's, the fact that Oracle stocks don't take pictures will be of minor intrest..... I'me not putting (all) Leica owners down as "posers" but it does make one think.....
Photos are taken by the user of the camera, not the camera itself this is just the tool to do it with.

And don't ever forget Everything in the whole wide world has been photographed by now.... but not yet by everyone !

Jan,

"excpet in Leica forums, for some reason to Leica users,
Leica's are perfect... I wonder if they actually have photography in
their minds when refering to the perfectness.... It is a very good
camera I must and do agree on that. But paying a 4x multiple (at
least) in order to be able to buy parts within the coming 20 years ...
mmmm."

This is simply not true. People talk about the issues/problems about Leicas in the Leica forums. Every camera has issues, none are perfect, from what I can tell. People who buy Leicas to take pictures (there are some that don't, not as many as you may believe...and personally, I don't care why someone buys Leicas, as the more they sell, the longer they'll be around) actually buy them becuase the optics are excellent, as are the cameras an excellent photographic tool, and there is no need to belittle the owners/users of other gear in this forum.

Regards,

Austin

Austin:
I agree with Jan. A lot of Leica users think their stuff are perfect. I remember once that I suggested CZ is sometimes superior compare to Leica in Leicainfo, it stired up a chain of thread that was very rude. One of them call me "troll". A lot of them to me are not true user, and they fell in love with Leica because they love their money.
However, I must say this is a generalisation, I know a lot of great leica photographer, my father is one.

Ben

I wouldn't get too excited about this subject,
a lot of Leica owners are professional photographers who use many different kinds of cameras,
and many Leica enthusiasts also regularly use Contax SLR, and either Canon or Nikon
autofocus cameras as well.

I realy think Contax shot in their own head with this comparison wich is over 4 Year old, I did send a email to Contax UK and did also inform Leica, I doo think they can take legal action against Contax UK. But its not my busines anyway, but i am still annoyed about the Contax service in Switzerland and their cartelprices.

The Contax G2 and G1 are good cameras with good lenses.
Leicas M Cameras are made with much higher quality and much larger lense selection wich are much more expensive than than Contax G lenses, but how much is much more ? on some online shops you can compare very well what the price difference is. When you have to do that because your pocket is not deep enoght and you wannt to get an RF System you also have to know, the Leica RF & SLR System will be an Digital body available from Epson this year and Leica will make one. Contax G systen had a huge price drop in the last 2 years, I could get my G equipmet now for half of the price I dit pay 2years ago (new in Box). This wont happen with a Leica lense nor M6.
Kyocera could easily make an digital G but they made too many mistakes to bring this system back to the consumer.
After publication of this article I received an email from Leica. He pointed out that Leica cameras and lenses bought from an authorized distributor carry the Leica Passport Warranty. This provides complete 3 year coverage against all failure and damage (with the exception of fire and theft) to M and R series bodies and lenses.

Whether the savings derived buying from an online gray market dealer are worthwhile compared to the support and warranty from a local authorized retailer is a decision that you'll have to make for yourself.

There is advatage when you buy Contax, you can buy on the grey market, there is no customer service anyway and save big money. My experience I made in Switzerland
sad.gif

Picturetaker,

Why are you so bent about this? Why not spend your energy taking pictures instead?

Regards,

Austin

It is obvious that this discussion will resolve nothing. On the issue of needing batteries to use a G2, however, I would like to point out that you need film to use an M. Is it less of a hardship to carry extra film than extra batteries? Is it overtaxing the brain to have to remember to carry two essential items rather than just one? Anyone answering "yes" to either of these questions needs a reality check.

Trevor Baylis is working on a clockwork Digicam!

But then you will have to remember to carry it with you to use it
happy.gif

Cheeers, Kyocera Kid

Picturetaker,

1. It is nice from you to inform the two companies about your opinion, but I think Leica and Contax know exactly what they are doing.

2. You can see pricedrops with analogue cameras everywhere: Leica, Contax, Hasselblad, Rollei, Canon, Minolta, Nikon, you name it...

3. If you pay more than 50% of the list price for second hand Leica equipment, you are doing something wrong. I do not see any difference here between Contax and Leica, except that 50% for Leica means 2000 USD, and 50% for Contax means 750 USD. So if you buy new and sell later, you actually loose more of your hard earned after tax income on Leica
happy.gif

4. "...This provides complete 3 year coverage against all failure and damage .." I want to see the dealer who takes your M6 back with a dent in it and replaces it against a new one
happy.gif

5. I do not see any negative point in the comparison chart between the G2 and the M6. It is obvious that each comparison of one producer will underline the advantages of its own system. I have never seen an advertisement that underlines the disadvantage of its own system
happy.gif

6. There is nothing wrong with the fact that the G2 is able to do more things or has more automatic features than the Leica M. This was obviously the purpose of the G System: To offer a lot more features and convenience in a rangefinder system than any other system available at that time, especially the most known competitor in the rangefinder area. There is nothing wrong with it. It is called innovation and developping market niches. Without that, we would have even not the cameras of Oskar Barnack
happy.gif

7. I find the comparison chart a good thing. It highlights the advantages of one system over the other - if you are looking for these specific features. If not, you are not a Contax G2 buyer - simple as that. In other words, if you are not interested in these features of the G2 system over the M6, then you probably will not buy it, except for the better price/performace ratio.

I just can not find any problem with this. A comparison chart draws the attention to certain issues, features, advantages. The decision will be still made by the costumer. You can also read the reverse: A comparison chart shows you "between the lines" what a system is not made for
happy.gif

Dirk, Not sure if number 4 is a question or a statement. While I don't know of a dealer who will take in a "dented" M6 and replace it with a new one, I do know that if you drop your M6 and lens down a mountainside or in a lake and retrieve it, Leica will MOST DEFINITELY replace them under their Passport programme. (or repair, if possible) . Don't ask how I know!!
Colin

Back