DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Real but square compare G2 vs Leica Mx

Hi Colin,

... it is just my opinion. But if I am wrong, this would be cool. I am not sure whether this is only a promise for within the UK bought Leicas or not. I have never heard something about that in Germany. I guess that the prices in UK must be then very steep to cover the costs of that
happy.gif

Hi Picturetaker,

There is no right or wrong with this comparison sheet. It is just a question what is important for you and what is your personal taste. I have not read the link, but the quotation of another person - whether he earns money with photography or not - is not worth more than from everybody else. It is just another opinion.

I think we are at a dead end of this "comparison" subject. People do have just different opinions about pro and cons of such comparisons. I do not mind, others (at least one) do. So what's the deal?

Just leave it with that. It is not worth it to discus for weeks. I would also not try to convince somebody to buy a black G2 over a silver one. It is just a comparison of technical features, no earthquake. Especuially if you look at comparison c&aigns in the US in the advertising c&aign on TV i.e. Coca Cola and Pepsi
happy.gif

Picturetaker,

"Its totaly wrong comparing a Contax G to a Leica M."

That's simply your opinion, and I completely disagree.

"Here a link from someone who does Photographing professionaly"

The author of that article and web site is NOT a professional photographer. He is self proclaimed with respect to his expertise in photography and digital imaging. Some of his information is accurate and interesting, but quite a bit if it is simply misinformation, and erroneous.

There is also no comment about the G2 in the web page you referenced, so I have no idea why you mentioned that.

Austin

Assumed this comparison contax made is legitimate, is it also fair not making a comparison to other RF cameras ? e.g. Voigländer,Konika,or the very pricey RF Nikon.

Sure the G2 G1 are very good Cameras, but that does not mean other manufacturer cant make a more suitable camera.
For the Contax G, there is no 1,4 35mm lense available nor a 1,2 35mm.
Maybe some would be more happy with a Leica or Voigtländer their lenses can be swaped after adjustment, between Leica and Voigtländer.

Contax does not inform the customer on a way he could make up an Opinion if the G Contax is more suitable or the Leica M system or the Voigtländer. This comarison is nothing else than a lie and making someone buing something.

Contax just did not make a realistic comparison. Its like you compare a Rols Royce to a VW.

This comparison has been removed by now, I think the Contax G is a very good system wich must be advertised in a nice manner, with all Pros and not with comparison to 1. other camera.
Cheers

Picturetaker:

You are emotionally involve in this topic, I wonder why? Did you misled by it and brought the G2?
happy.gif

I agree with you in a way that when people are comparing with their products, they should make sure that what their claim is correct, or otherwise if it misled the users, not only they cheated to their customers, but also they will raised their competitors law suit too!

I am sure if these comparitive chart is not true and is misleading, Leica will not hesitate to sue, afterall the M-series is the milk and butter for Leica. On the other hand, for Ziess and Kyosera, the 135mm is surely not their main business! I don't think they pay much attention about this business! I don't see the intention for contax to misled their customers. People who will consider buying G2 or M7 are advance photographer (like you) and will not be easily misled for incorrect marketing comparison.

Ben

... I think we have to put here one fact straight. On the comparison table, nothing was incorrect. All facts listed have been true.

There are maybe around 30 features (my wild guess) every camera has. And not in all 30 features all the cameras are different. Or do you want to have also a row for "takes 35mm film" or "can be switched on"? So please stop this nonsense.

Contax only picked a few out of these "30 features" to make clear where the major differences are between these two systems. This has nothing to do with wrong or misleading statements. If you disagree here, no marketing is possible anymore at all. Because everything could be accused as a kind of misleading
happy.gif

Do get down on earth. Every marketing c&aign is underlying the advantages of a system, without even trying to be a compelete list. No matter which company or industry. And there is nothing wrong with it. See it this way: If you try to date somebody, it is exactly the same. So are you by definition because of this not honest and should the girl sue you for this? or vice versa: Do you want to forbid the using of make-up for women, because this make up is strenghthening the good parts of the face but shows not all details exactly?
happy.gif

No marketing c&aign tries to compare really every small detail between different systems. If you are expecting this from a producer, you are dreaming. Look wherever you want to and think again about it: print media, roadshows, PMA, you name it. All I can say is: Welcome to reality.

If you want to have a minimum "complete" comparison between 2 different systems, you have to use discussion boards like this one and people who are really using these systems can you give answers, even the smartest marketing department would not have thought about.

Hi Dirk,

I summarize the "issue" as simply someone who's confusing marketing with journalism. If Contax is stating an untruth (e.g., the G2 turns out to only have a top shutter speed of 1/5,800 second), then they deserve a rebuke. However, if they've merely chosen to ignore that M6 owners routinely use their cameras to drive nails with, then that's their choice. I find the Gs to be unsuitable for anything larger than a thumbtack.

Cheers,

--Rick

Rick,

"If Contax is stating an untruth (e.g., the G2 turns out to only have a top shutter speed of 1/5,800 second)"

1/5,800 of a second for a rated speed of 1/6000 is WELL within the tolerance for shutter speeds for general photography cameras, which is typically +- %10. So a variance of %3 would in fact not be a problem at all, especially for the top speed, which is typically off by more than the rest.

Regards,

Austin

Hi Austin,

I neglected to put a winky emoticon with my 1/5,800 ex&le.
wink.gif
I find some of the hairs being split in this thread to be exceedingly thin ones.

Hope you didn't spend too much time with the arithmetic
happy.gif

--Rick

Back