DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Eos R5 Pixel Shift

Ephemeris

So we l awaiting for the new firmware.
The new firmware is with us. Now it's quite what some people may have hoped for but they have brought a 9 shot pixel shift giving a 400Mp JPEG.

During this shift the IBIS isn't functional to provide stabilisation or any in lens stabilisation.

Once it goes through its 9 shot cycle prepare for a wait whilst the buffer is emptied and a rather large JPEG is stored to your card.

Let's see if any of you have created any masterpieces with this new shooting mode.

I haven't tried it yet. The JPG only is disappointing. Glad to see more manufacturers offering this feature. I still feel the S1R/SL2 is the best implementation for speed and quality. Will be interesting to see if the rumored SL3 offers the 61MP Sony sensor with improved pixel shift and a HHHR option. Plus the ability to go longer than 1s exposure which is really frustrating.

But most of the time I use pixel shift on Olympus because every recent body offers it and I always tend to have one on hand wherever I go.

I’m interested to know what people are using this for - my estimate is that the 400MP image is about 24500x16300 pixels. At 300 ppi a print would be 82x54”. I don’t think many of us have a printer that big! If the answer is “you can crop in” wouldn’t it be better to choose an appropriate focal length in the first instance and shoot at 45MP? Also, why did it have to be a 9 image pixel shift? What about 4 images which would give about 180MP and might have more real world usefulness.
So, apart from tinkering for interest’s sake, what are people using 400MP for?

I’m interested to know what people are using this for - my estimate is that the 400MP image is about 24500x16300 pixels. At 300 ppi a print would be 82x54”. I don’t think many of us have a printer that big! If the answer is “you can crop in” wouldn’t it be better to choose an appropriate focal length in the first instance and shoot at 45MP? Also, why did it have to be a 9 image pixel shift? What about 4 images which would give about 180MP and might have more real world usefulness.
The real benefits to me are dynamic range, elimination of moire and avoiding false colors. I wouldn’t be so concerned with “megapixels”. The additional detail is a nice benefit but not the only benefit. I haven’t tested pixel shift on the R5 yet but on Olympus, pixel shift also works to extend the exposure time much like a ND filter. For example a “2 sec” exposure has the look of a “16 sec” exposure with regard to moving water and clouds.

I use it to reduce moiré on some images we take and often we don't know the value of detail until a later date.
Should you use a lens which magnifies the optics more? Well why not both which is to all intent and purpose what we try to do.
John explained in another forum the benefits of the 9 shift Vs the less than ideal 4 shift.

Interesting to know it can reduce moiré. But please explain why a 4 image shift is less ideal than 9, as other manufacturers do use 4.

Back