DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Shots in SFD-mode

Serge

Please post your SFD images here. Up to 4 photos in a single post.
SFD - super fine detail mode is an automated bracketing feature that combines seven exposures in 1EV increments to create a single X3I Raw file. It greatly improves dynamic range while giving us less noise and also provides more detail, improved colour as well as tonal range.
If possible, please include information about the lens and shooting conditions.

500px. Waterfall Visor. Sigma Dp0 Quattro. SFD.
v2

Hello Serge. Please, don't you have some mediocre scenery?
I have the SFD issue pending.
Regarding the photo you show us, I would like to see at least a small crop at 100%.

Hello Serge. Please, don't you have some mediocre scenery?
I have the SFD issue pending.
Regarding the photo you show us, I would like to see at least a small crop at 100%.
Crop at 100%. Take into account that there is always a slight breeze near the waterfalls and the sfd-shot consists of 7 shots. Therefore, there is always some blurring )
_P0Q5073.jpg
  • SIGMA - SIGMA dp0 Quattro
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure

Crop at 100%. Take into account that there is always a slight breeze near the waterfalls and the sfd-shot consists of 7 shots. Therefore, there is always some blurring )View attachment 779
100% viewing is a must for me, thanks.
I have no doubt that in the studio the SFD will give very good results, but in landscape I have my doubts. Have you tried to process the best of the 7 shots and compare it with this one?

100% viewing is a must for me, thanks.
I have no doubt that in the studio the SFD will give very good results, but in landscape I have my doubts. Have you tried to process the best of the 7 shots and compare it with this one?
In SPP you can take out one of the 7 shots and compare them. But I didn't do that.

Talking about the particular waterfall shot, the aim was not only to do SFD, but also to emulate the long exposure shot - I just left out the ND filters ). I guess it worked.
I often use this technique for the Pentax K-1 / K-1 Mark II, doing a stacking shot-in-camera, putting 15 or 20 frames into a single image.

I've done a lot of SFD shots, but I've come to the conclusion that they're better done only in low light (high ISO's), because SFD drastically reduces noise.

The SFD, by equalising the exposure when stacking 3 to 7 frames, makes the final image a little more "hdr'sh" and unnatural. It is better to stack 3 frames (for DP cameras) or 5 frames for SD Quattro / SD Quattro H after bracketing and use Lumenzia exposure blending.

In SPP you can take out one of the 7 shots and compare them. But I didn't do that.

Talking about the particular waterfall shot, the aim was not only to do SFD, but also to emulate the long exposure shot - I just left out the ND filters ). I guess it worked.
I often use this technique for the Pentax K-1 / K-1 Mark II, doing a stacking shot-in-camera, putting 15 or 20 frames into a single image.

I've done a lot of SFD shots, but I've come to the conclusion that they're better done only in low light (high ISO's), because SFD drastically reduces noise.

The SFD, by equalising the exposure when stacking 3 to 7 frames, makes the final image a little more "hdr'sh" and unnatural. It is better to stack 3 frames (for DP cameras) or 5 frames for SD Quattro / SD Quattro H after bracketing and use Lumenzia exposure blending.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I'll write it down for when I experiment with SFD mode.

Back