DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Short eared owls hunting

BrandonBirder

Another panel which were exhibited at my local club. A few years ago a couple of dozen short eared owls overwintered in farmers scrub field.
Each day for several weeks the owls would wake up between 12 and 2pm, go for a fly around in groups of two or three, rest up on twigs and then hunt For mice and voles. These were taken over several visits.. Panels are supposed to show more as a group than a single image could convey.
Hope you enjoy these.
Brandon.
5A3BB559-E6A3-40E6-A5FC-A3C4469A94D3.jpeg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D7000
  • AF-S VR Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/1000 sec
  • Spot
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 800

Beautiful golden tones in these Brandon. Excellent series of something I will never get to see. Kind of special that.

Danny.

Brandon, I love shots showing wildlife in their environment, its a tough world for them out in the environment. I love for an example large flocks of Snow Geese with their wing noise and squawking. I have at times during their lift off had tears in my eyes. We are so small compared to our natural world. I have attached an image I love showing an Eagle on a foggy cold day sitting in his or her environment.baldeagle22.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D800E
  • 500.0 mm f/4.0
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/750 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 360

I'm going to show probably not a perfect image of a flock of Snow Geese lifting off this last February. This area in the eastside of the Cascades here in Oregon has been extremely dry and it is an area where the migrating bird fly though in around February. This year not many birds because of the drought.

Larry

DSC_8248_DxO_DxO.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D850
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1500 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 180

Brandon, I love shots showing wildlife in their environment, it’s a tough world for them out in the environment. I love for an example large flocks of Snow Geese with their wing noise and squawking. I have at times during their lift off had tears in my eyes. We are so small compared to our natural world. I have attached an image I love showing an Eagle on a foggy cold day sitting in his or her environment.View attachment 860
Thanks Larry. Love the bald eagle shot. The environment says so much more and is evocative of the memory.

Back