CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

User comments btil June 2003

G

[But M7 had 300 parts more than M6 , I always worry about M7's hardiness compared with M6 ttl]

G

M6TTL, M7, MP? What are your priorities? MP, all mechanical, retro, with best RFDR patch, flare free. M7, auto capability, improved RFDR patch. I don't think that the 300+ parts should influence you. The average SLR from the '70's had 1500 parts. The Canon F-1 had 15,000. As much as we hate to admit it, some Leicas will leave the factory with defects. That's what the warranty (either from Leica, or used, from the dealer comes in).

G

Rickyan

Tom has summed things up very well. The actual operation of the M7 is very close to the M6 TTL, which seems to be the reason behind Leica dropping the mechanical M6, and replacing it with the retro MP.

The only difference being the M7 has an electronic governed shutter like 99.99999% of cameras made since the 1980s.

The elec. circitry of both the M7 and MP has been improved over the M6. Modern camera electronics such as those used in the M7 are very reliable and you shouldn't have any problems there. For the money you spend you can rightly expect top quality. The Leica warranty much more generous than the usual.

Choice comes down to the sort of photography you do.

G

And I quote from a recent e-mail from Solms:

" Therefore, if you buy a camera from the present deliveries beginning with 2 850 ... you may sure to get the newest type with improved viewfinder. "

Caveat Emptor

G

Makes me wonder. When I bought my M4P, they said canada was a great place to make stuff. Same quality as the mother land.

When I got an early M6 they said it was a great step up in quality. Now it seems everything I was told was wrong. I must get an MP as everything else was not as good. Solms has almost lost me as a customer.

Generous warranty, you are paying for it!! IMHO, the only thing out of Sloms that is generous is their words.

B2 (;->

G

I've heared similar noises from other manufacturers. No company is a charity, not for very long anyway. Something to do with sharemarkets and operational profitability. Capitalist propaganda is every where, even in the PRC. In my experience one USEUALLY gets what they pay for.

G

Just curious, What is the 'new viewfinder' difference on the higher number M7s? is it the blinking light?
Also, a comment on the quality issue, yes, the advertising definitely idealizes, though it is a wonderful camera none the less. Owning one still won't make us immortal...
Some thoughts on the M7 or MP discussion. I shoot the m6 and think I would go MP, partly because the speed knob is the same as m6. Also, at first I thought at first that M7 automatic would be nice, but now I think a handheld meter would be nicer and to do more pre-adjusting before the camera is to my eye. I do enough plus/minus adjustment to the camera's meter that I think M7 auto would make me more neurotic, not less...
Also, the MP is prettier,,
Ciao!

G

I quote from a recent e-mail from Solms:

"Therefore, if you buy a camera from the present deliveries beginning with 2 850 ... you may sure to get the newest type with improved viewfinder.

G

M7 auto mode. If you choose or have time to think carefully before the shot, you'd probably have it on manual. Otherwise, you'd be in the ballpark and let the auto shutter "fine tune" your exposure. Even if you have the time, I think that the metering area of the M6/M7/MP allows more precision than many reflected light meters. I use a hand held meter, a Minolta flashmeter IV with incident/reflected options when time and circumstances permit. Even with aperture priority, don't most of us look at the shutter speed first to verify we won't have camera shake? After all, that ruins a sharp picture, and that's why we like Leica glass. I think the convenience of the larger shutter speed dial and the movement which is in the same direction as the arrows indicating exposure in the VFDR would make for quicker, more intuitive settings when you need it. We get used to things, and if you have more than 1 camera (system), you might already be dealing with aperture rings/focus rings, that turn in different directions. Of course, if you already HAVE an M6 or older M, and you want your new camera or 2nd body to be the same in this manner, then you might opt for the MP. For speed in shooting, however, I like the angled rewind crank on the M6/M7. In conclusion, not a bad dilemma if you need to choose between buying an M7 and MP.

qwert

Why has the direction of the shutter speed dial on the MP been reversed, compared to the M6 TTL?
I thought that it was supposed to rotate in the direction indicated by the exposure meter arrows (a bit of ergonomics much hyped by M6 TTL promotional literature). Seems like a quirky inconsistency to me.

frank

I guess you do not own a classic M6? The reason for the dial direction is historical. That is the direction the M1, M2, M3, M4, and Classic M6 all worked. The MP is a return to the "old school" of Leicas.... so the dial "must" turn the old way.

C

Craig24

Jeff

That sounds like the type of off-handed remark I would make. But please! the MP may sort of look like a "proper" Leica, ie the M3. But that doesn't mean it is one.

Anyway the original M6 has a light meter with a real sized SS dial that works in the correct direction, for us ludites anyway. Purhaps you could get your M6 TTL funny working SS dial converted back to a proper one.

Best of wishes, Craig

PS. I hope to see some of your spectacular shots of that great country you've got over there in Colorado soon.

jay

Leica saw the M market is too far split to capture with just one camera. Th= e=20 M7 is for the people who consider a Leica as a tool to make photographs,=20 which is also a very nice piece of machinery. The MP is for the collectors,= =20 who consider the Leica a nice piece of machinery to ogle and caress, which=20 can also be used to make photographs.

colorado_jeff

Craig wrote:
PS. I hope to see some of your spectacular shots of that great country you've got over there in Colorado soon.

Craig..
I'm gonna have a tough time doing that with my Leica. I'm traveling the next two weeks and then moving to San Antonio, Texas. I'm taking my M6 to get some "on the road" shots.
Jeff in Colorado (for now)

qwert

FRANK—Thanks for showing me what I'm up against! I must be the only one (aside from a few crackpot Leica engineers) who thought that it was perfectly reasonable, intuitive even, for the shutter speed dial to rotate in the direction of the meter arrows. I shoot with an M4, and two M6's. The shutter speed dial on the M6 rotates counter to the M4, but so what? It makes sense. What I find annoying is that Leica has now switched the direction again, for reasons that seem purely cosmetic. What happened to "Form Follows Function" —the basic rule of industrial design since the Bauhaus?

colorado_jeff

I got to hold a new MP yesterday. Not only does the shutter speed dial rotate opposite to an M6 TTL, the dial has been reduced to the old style size. It's little bitty.
Jeff in Colorado

C

Craig24

Just a correction Jeff

The SS dial on the MP is the correct size not itty bitty, and it rotates in the proper direction.

BTW "Jeff in Texas" isn't going to sound the same. Looks like you'll be doing social documentary photography in the Ozarks from now on. I know it's the wrong end of the State, but where I'm from Texas is considered small.

craig