DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sigma takes over Foveon

Guest .

Banned
Hi All,

Presumably, this is very good news for all SIGMA/Foveon fans!

View attachment 734

Kawasaki, Japan, November 11, 2008 - Sigma Corporation (Location: Tokyo, Japan) has acquired 100% of the stock of the company that developed the original three-layer image sensor, Foveon Inc. Foveon will continue its sensor development operations in San Jose, CA, USA.

http://www.foveon.com/press_article.php?a=248

http://www.foveon.com/

This then should be clear evidence that SIGMA plans to keep cameramaking alive! It also proves beyond doubt that future SIGMA DSLRs will be powered by a FOVEON X3 image sensor! ;)

Now, money and manpower should push further improvements to our future cameras. ;)

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• sample 4.JPG
    EXIF
    sample 4.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 19
Hello, Klaus!

Did not notice your post so posted elsewhere. Sorry.

As I mentioned, the future will reveal all...

Sincere regards, JR

May you discover the light on your journey.

... no problem Jim!

Maybe that your idea, to post it under "CHAT" in more matching than mine, to have it under "CAMERAS"! :)

I just thought it will influence future camera-making ... therefore here!

See you with a SIGMA

Klaus

I was until today slightly sceptical regarding the purchase of Foveon. It could have been interpreted always in 2 different directions. But according to a reliable source, it seems really to be positive all the way for Sigma customers.

I got no details disclosed, so time will tell what kind of surprises will appear over the next 2 years. But as far as I am allowed to say is that the product cycles can be now after this purchase a lot shorter then in the past.

Also a better finetuning for Sigma cameras is now possible. In the past the "match" was more complicated. Now Sigma can really adjust everything on to it's Sigma DSLRs, so everything will work better together.

Sounds today very good to me...

Best wishes

Well, Uwe, if it will do any good, I will cross my fingers (AND toes) here "down under" so that we form some sort of invisible force "around the globe" based on new hope for the Sigma / Foveon union.

Dirk, at least in theory, your predictions make sense and sound very promising.

Sincere regards, Jim R.

Now you're starting to make extra special sense, Klaus! ;) I wonder if Sigma visit this forum?

Thanks for the lead, Dirk.

Sincere regards, Jim R.

I wonder if Sigma visit this forum?

They do. But do not expect any official statement of them in one of our Sigma forums (German or English). It is one thing to follow our Sigma Forums, but it is another thing to discuss things in public, especially on the internet ;)

Unfortunately just the fact that they are reading here is no guarantee, that all our wishes will be "heard"...

Best wishes

Back