DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Color variation

Robert.4507

Recently purchased an SD14, and in looking for pics to post in the forum, I noticed something. These two pics were shot within 2 minutes of each other at a relative similar location at the side of a small river. The light was full sun over my shoulder. What continually amazes me about the multi-pattern metering is how it seems to "paint" color into a scene. I am assuming that this is by design and my camera is not flawed.

The pics were shot in jpg, as it was the first day I owned the SD14 and I was familiarizing myself with its features. So I have not done any pp to them, interestinly cool is how the color changes from one to the other, when the lighting was not changing that day. Only a slight change in my perspective, one was facing more adjacent to the river bank as opposed to more downstream. In the pic towards downstream, the golden color from the opposite side of the bank does start its reflection across the river, but the dominant color is blue as opposed to a golden in the previous.

During that day of shooting, the lightening was not changing and the human perception of the landscape was pretty much consistent. The surpising thing was that as I was reviewing the shots on the LCD, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Still find it amazing all most three weeks later so I thought I would share.

Rob

Attachments

• SDIM0454_1.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM0454_1.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 7
  • SDIM0457_1.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM0457_1.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 12
Wow Robert! VERY interesting!

I guess the first thing I would want to rule out is that you weren't possibly in the "almost spot meter" metering mode?

If not, then I do have a hyposthesis...but I would want to know which metering mode you were on first.

THANKS for bringing this up to us!

Laurence

Interesting...

Did you change the F-stop or WB....I bet your WB was set to auto...??

Tony C.

I never use Jpg mode so I cannot comment as to the whys and wherefores.

RAW gives me what I want, every time.

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

Hi Laurence,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Both were shot with evaluative metering and AWB. The only difference in the settings were the bluer tone was set -1.0EV and aperature priority. I can't remember if I used AEL. It was slightly below freezing too and at this point the camera and I had been out for more than several hours.

I have been reading in the compendium and found quite a lot of useful info. one item struck a chord, "QUOTED from
http://www.foto.nordjylland.biz/SD14/SD-usertips.htm

AWB

Beware of using AWB. It may be excellent most of the time, but it may be affected by dominant colours. It is not considered very good. Also, it has been reported that shooting AWB, and changing to XWB (any WB) yields different results than shooting with XWB.
If you shoot RAW, a better option than AWB is to always use Sunlight, and change the WB in SPP or another Raw developer later, if needed.

Nonetheless.... I still would be interested in what you think. What is the model you shoot with? Do you have similar experiences? Regardless of the process variant, I have been enjoying this camera so very much!! I ordered some lens tonight after I posted the pics. So this could be an interesting week-end should they arrive by then and it is supposed to warm up above freezing. Which is always a good thing!

Robert

Robert, I don't have the SD14 yet (see above). However, I was going to hypothesize that the white balance was "doing it" in some way.

Regardless, it will be interesting to try to duplicate your results when I do receive the camera. I won't be using Sigma lenses right away - will actually be using Takumars, SMC Pentax, Super Takumar, etc. Also a fine Kiron 100mm lens. All in M42 mount, I ordered the Polish adapter.

Folks, over the years I have read many reports about inconsistency of colour results in the various WB modes. But one particular gentleman (on another forum) recommended RAW and AWB as being the most reliable for consistent results.

Now, your mileage (kilometreage?) may vary, but I have never strayed from that combination and I'm still a happy camper. :)

Did you change the F-stop or WB....I bet your WB was set to auto...??

Tony C.
Tony,

You are correct about the WB. It was set to auto for both shots. Also,
both were 8 way evaluative metering, aperature priority. The 2nd (bluer) image was Exposure compensation -1 stop, which increased shutter speed from 1/40 to 1/80.

I never use Jpg mode so I cannot comment as to the whys and wherefores.

RAW gives me what I want, every time.

Jim I can recognize good advice when I hear it, and I have been staying with RAW/HI for the hope of generating keepers.

Thanks!

Folks, over the years I have read many reports about inconsistency of colour results in the various WB modes. But one particular gentleman (on another forum) recommended RAW and AWB as being the most reliable for consistent results.

Now, your mileage (kilometreage?) may vary, but I have never strayed from that combination and I'm still a happy camper. :)

Jim,

Thank you for this info, coincidentally, RAW and AWB was what I had resolved to go with since I found that was producing consistent satisfactory results under most lighting conditions: sunny, overcast, shadow. Likewise, my house is light with compact fluorescent lights (soft whites) and I get good results there too.

On the other hand, under the CFL house lights, going to JPG and alternately changing exposure time and type of metering gives mind boggling tonal shades and coloring. It was as interesting as it was over whelming to analyze. Hence I resolved to go with RAW and for now not experiment with AWB.

Moreover, on a nice spring day and finding yourself in a in flower garden with a macro lens,,,,, I think a person could have a blast experimenting with the settings. I can almost hear the birds singing.......

Back