DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Another problem with RAW

vigor

Hi.

I'm having another problem with my Sigma sd14. Most of my pictures are shot in RAW, but sometimes when I shoot in a bit cooler conditions (5°C to -5°C) and iso above 200 some shots are not recorded and the error is shown on display. In most cases the problem apears at iso 800 or 1600 but yesterday I was shooting at iso 200 and the camera couldn't save some images. When I shoot in JPEG everything works ok, but JPEG isn't RAW.

Is this known problem at Sigma sd14?
When I shoot indors the problem occurs only at iso 1600 (sometimes). If I shoot some pictures in JPEG and then switch to RAW everything works ok.
Could this be camera malfunction?

Hope you'll understand, my english isn't very good.

Thanks

Hi Vigor,
some few users have reported problems like that.
In one case it turned out a Kingston CF card caused the problem.
So maybe you try a differtent card or brand.
If you haven´t updated the firmware to 1.08, please do so.
Instructions are found on the Sigma homepage.
Hopefully the next firmware update (1.09 ? ) will come soon and cure that problem.
Good luck
Uwe

Hi.

Thanks fot answer. I'm using Transcend 2GB CF card but I will try some other cards and test.

I hope that guys at Sigma have heard about this problem and they will fix it.

Hi Vigor,

your SD14 does not behave the normal way! It should run stable even at low temperatures as mentioned. If a CF-card change does not end the problem, I would recommend you to have it serviced.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Strange error

Hi Vigor

This is certainly not a known error, unless your explanation lacks vital information.
- does it only happen when you shoot one image while there still are images in the buffer?
- do you have to remove the battery to reset the error?

The only known, and unresolved related bug, is a sporadic lockup issue, when shooting before the buffer is empty. This bug was supposed to be corrected with firmware v1.08, which improved the situation (possibly fixed what v1.05 or v1.06 introduced), but there are still several users that have occational lockups. Speculations vary from a power issue to sensor heat problems.
But this bug does not produce an error message, it just write forever, and the only remedy is to remove/reinsert the battery. One or more images is always lost.
It does not sounds like it is this error you are facing, but plese tell me if the error you experience happens when you shoot more than one image in a short time.

Many users also experience error messages from time to time, not reproduceable, but I have never heard of ISO related issues.

I think you need to test carefully. When the error starts to show up, test all lower ISOs also, repeating the shooting pattern.
Also, that is also the time to try another card.

There has been reports about card related issues, but I cannot recall if they were related to error messages/image loss. As Uwe said, Kingston caused someone problems. I also think Lexar and Transcend was mentioned in relation to error situations, but I do not think it was confirmed.

I would not bet much on a v1.09 firmware version. I think the fix is called SD15. It is now 6 months since v1.08, and presumably only 2 months till release of the SD15. I think
Info about the SD15: http://www.foto.nordjylland.biz/SD14/SD-15-specs.htm

I do not think Sigma is able to fix the locking-issue (it is possible it is a design issue) in SW (firmware). The same goes for the other big unresolved bug, the Green cast issue. This issue seems to vary from body to body, from no green cast to rather strong green cast. A pro user have three SD14 bodies, each requires different corrections in post processing.
The TRUE-II processing pipeline of the SD15 will hopefully take care of this.

You may also want to have a look at my SD14 compendium:
http://www.foto.nordjylland.biz/SD14/SD-usertips.htm

Hi.

I'm having another problem with my Sigma sd14. Most of my pictures are shot in RAW, but sometimes when I shoot in a bit cooler conditions (5°C to -5°C) and iso above 200 some shots are not recorded and the error is shown on display. In most cases the problem apears at iso 800 or 1600 but yesterday I was shooting at iso 200 and the camera couldn't save some images. When I shoot in JPEG everything works ok, but JPEG isn't RAW.

Is this known problem at Sigma sd14?
When I shoot indors the problem occurs only at iso 1600 (sometimes). If I shoot some pictures in JPEG and then switch to RAW everything works ok.
Could this be camera malfunction?

Hope you'll understand, my english isn't very good.

Thanks

Hi.

OK I've tested my camera today. I tried different cards but they were another Transcend and Lexar (just different capacity), I didn't have opportunety to try other brands.
Indors the camera worked normal. Then I went outside (temperature was about +5°C) and after few minutes I try to shoot a picture. The error occures. I only use single picture shooting and none coninuous shooting.
When the error appear on display the lcd goes black, then I have to push preview button. And then I can continue shooting. No images in the buffer. And no, I don't have to take the battery out.

After that I went inside and let some time to camera temperature equalize. After a while I try to shoot a picture, and it works normal, the picture was recorded.

Error occures at iso 800 and 1600, sometimes at 400, but few days ago it occures at iso 200. Really strange

In next days I will try to get different cards (san disc) and test with them. If the error appears, then it has to be fixed.
Question... Can it be fixed or is this a replacement solution? The camera is still under warranty.

Thanks

vigor

Hello Vigor,
from what I read,I think it is a thermal problem.
As the camera is still under warrenty,it is best to have it serviced or
get it exchanged.
Regards
Uwe

Hi.

OK I've tested my camera today. I tried different cards but they were another Transcend and Lexar (just different capacity), I didn't have opportunety to try other brands.
Indors the camera worked normal. Then I went outside (temperature was about +5°C) and after few minutes I try to shoot a picture. The error occures. I only use single picture shooting and none coninuous shooting.
When the error appear on display the lcd goes black, then I have to push preview button. And then I can continue shooting. No images in the buffer. And no, I don't have to take the battery out.

After that I went inside and let some time to camera temperature equalize. After a while I try to shoot a picture, and it works normal, the picture was recorded.

Error occures at iso 800 and 1600, sometimes at 400, but few days ago it occures at iso 200. Really strange

In next days I will try to get different cards (san disc) and test with them. If the error appears, then it has to be fixed.
Question... Can it be fixed or is this a replacement solution? The camera is still under warranty.

Thanks

vigor

This definitely sounds like a bad solder , somewhere in the electronics .Thermal problems like that are well known to Trouble shooters and very hard to pin point . One common place they happen is in the legs of Chips , that are soldered in place by automated machines.

It is common practice in American Manufacturing to test their production runs in an Environmental Test chamber ,that swings Temperature and Barometric Pressure while the Electronic Device is being put through a battery of Functionality tests , and every test is logged , weeding out the Apples from the Lemons before it gets to the hands of the Customer. This not only raises the level of Quality Control , by eliminating Thermal Stress related flaws , but it also helps the Design Team find the weak spots in their designs. Asian Manufacturing , instead , seem to prefer Good Customer Service to take care of the problem after it has reached the hands of the Customer. (This is not only a camera problem , Honda cars are well known for having cold solder problems with the Main Relay Switch , that likes to work only when warm.)

Send it to Customer Service .Luis

Back