DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

!!! SIGMA SD1 - 46Mpx !!!

Here are 3 Videos about the SD1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeCDdm7X9T4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIFrQUCJitI

In the second video you can see a video output connection. Timeframe 1.17

View attachment 2128

It also has a microphone at least in the back.

In the following video the Sigma guy tells in this interview, that the SD1 will be available in spring 2011 :z04_carrot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TypUi7ZarWk

So what is the current status quo? What are the official announcemenst of Sigma?

1. The SD1 will be available in spring 2011

2. The SD1 will cost maximum a Canon 7D price (= 1.500.- USD/ 1.200.- Euro)

3. The SD1 is the flagship model. In other words, Sigma starts a product line out of several SD cameras. SD15 and SD1 side by side for different target groups. The SD1 seems NOT to be a replacement of the SD15!

These are great news!!!

Attachments

• SD1_videoanschluss.JPG
    EXIF
    SD1_videoanschluss.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 13
It is not only the sensor and image quality that dictates the overall quality of a camera, particularly when all manufacturers are and will target new customers (naturally, mostly armatures). They have to deliver a overall package: easy of use, weather-seal body (and lenses, if possible), versatile ISO, quality of compatible lens etc.
I had SD-14. After using that for couple of years I moved to Canon 7D. There is no comparison in built quality and many other features between SD-14 and 7D. IQ is not that great for Foveon sensor as compared to mono-layer Bayer sensors, particularly in high resolution 7D. The other benefit I have with 7D is the accompanying software (that came with the camera) to process and edit RAW image in my computer, which was not present with Sigma software supplied with SD14. Many other accompanying software (with 7D) are also of great use and user friendly.
In my opinion, if SD1 is more than about $1200, then its market will be more restricted. Only few dedicated fans (professionals) will be tempted to buy that.
I fully support Sigma to develop a better and alternative sensor technology, to put pressure on other camera manufacturers to improve quality of their products; at the same time give customers more, affordable options to choose from.
I personally will consider going back to Sigma if I am satisfied with their over all built quality of their cameras, rather than for Foveon sensor alone.

I just noticed that Pentax also has lunched K5 with improved features (with expected price range $ 1599 with kit lens, as per Amazon).

I think it's impossible to talk about built quality before to have in your hands the new SD1!! About more features of Canon 7d, what do you mean?
Personally I found all what I need in my Sigma SD14. I talk about features in order to help me to make good pictures (depth field button, control of flash intensity, ect..). I don't want to have possibility to make video. I don't care about bad quality of JPG (I use only RAW). I don't need to make 100 shots in a second!!.

Do you really need all these things???

i had just decided to get the nikon D7000, and all of sudden sigma come out with this! wow! but i guess the price would be higher than D7000.

another big worry is : will sigma delay SD1 another year just like it delayed SD15?

i had just decided to get the nikon D7000, and all of sudden sigma come out with this! wow! but i guess the price would be higher than D7000.

another big worry is : will sigma delay SD1 another year just like it delayed SD15?

1.500 $

:z04_carrot:

They said in the third video that they want to ship it in spring 2011!

:z04_sabber:

Yes, now you an see under this link only the SD15 image and name. But beforehand, it was an SD1. Remember this is the shop of Sigma. As long as they can not ship, they can not advertise it. I guess afetr it was posted here, they removed it.

And yes, I know that the name in the URL itself is SD15. That does not matter as long as you click on it and the SD1 is visible, as it was the case before ;)

Anyway, there are other official sources ataa press event druring which Sigma said the price would be very competitive and on the level of a Canon 7D which is 1500 $ for the body.

So no matter how you look at it, if they do not play the currency exchange game again as with the SD15, it will be around 1.500 $ for the body only.

Best wishes

really world famous photographer using SIGMA

What I don`t understand about SIGMA marketing and PR:
Why can`t they manage to get at least one really famous professional photographer to be a known Sigma user...?!?!
That would have such an impact on the worldwide sales and finally with the announced SD1 it looks like now they have a camera any professional could live with when shooting very expensive models.
Requirements:
Let`s hope there will be great colours and absolute colour consistency from shot to shot and none of those "freeze" problems in continuous shooting that we all experienced with SD14. I expect being able to at least shot 10 RAW frames without having to watch the red blinking LED-being able to always go on shooting or watching pictures during saving would be a necessity for professional use. 3fps are enough I guess but more fps will help for better acceptance among professionals and amateurs alike.

Most important: release date has to be as early as possible (not later than early summer 2011) or it will be a dead-born product !
Just my 2cents

Back