DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

FL diopter substitutes

EHM2

Given that FL diopters are getting hard to find, does anyone know of other manufacturer's diopters that fit an Aria viewfinder(RX also)?

Diopters

I've had the same problem, so I decided to make my own diopters for nearly all of my cameras.

All that you need is a frame that fits the camera. This is either the round screw-in kind or the slip-on kind. Next, you need a cheap pair of reading glasses that are the desired diopter.

You can get these at most drug stores. The small lens variety are preferable. And, you want plastic lenses so that they are easy to cut.

Remove the lenses from the frame. Cover them with masking tape on both sides, to prevent scratches in the process.

Mark the outline of the frame on the tape with a pen or pencil in the center of the lens. Cut out the shape with whatever tools you have. I use a jig saw. A coping saw will also work. stay away from the line.

Finish the shape with a small file so that the lens just fits the frame. If it holds itself in place, fine, your done. If not, use a little clear nail polish around the edges. Apply carefully with a toothpick. Now remove the tape and clean the lens.

Voila!

Back