DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Z8 brochure leaked

RobCar

See

To me, this is the most concrete evidence yet that we'll be getting a Z8 this year. I now think the speculation about the teaser campaign is probably accurate, and it'll be starting soon.

Now pics and specs are starting to leak. I like the look of the bigger body. I'm a little surprised it won't be higher MP, though we're still dealing with rumored specs and not confirmed specs at this time.

So much for the highly talked about D500 Z type replacement then.
The Z50 is almost exactly the same spec (but improved) as the D500 -- but this is not what the predominantly poorer BIF shooters (ie those who do not wish to buy an 800 or 600TC) want in a D500 replacement -- they seem to want a R7 in Z mount, but with Z9 tech AND this is where their dreams fall apart.

Currently there is NO stacked BSI sensor that delivers 30+mp DX with 14-bit RAW data -- Neither the Canon and Sony APSC sensors are neither stacked nor high performance.

Why would Nikon step backwards to a Z50 style sensor (even with IBIS "this time") if it were to provide a "pro-body" DX camera -- it would not
I assume that Nikon is "waiting"/"working with" sensor manufacturers (probably Sony SC) to develop a higher resolution / pixel density version of the sensor in the Z9 -- something that adds 50% more pixels per sq mm but does not loose any of the sensor's performance.
The sensor being stacked BSI is a "huge" step forward AND well worth waiting for. It is entirely feasible for Nikon to tune this sensor to have a base ISO of 200 and be even better in low light.

A far better choice (and option that can be bought today) are the FujiFilm X-H2S and the X-H2 with their 26.16 mp and 40.2 mp 23.5mm x 15.6/7mm (APS-C) X-Trans stacked CMOS Sensors AND are also said to be made by Sony SC. The OM-1 is also a top competitor to this (sensor also made by Sony SC). These both have the same
The X-H2S provides the following specs (the H2 is a higher res version):
  • Continuous shooting at up to 40fps with no blackout (15 with mech shutter) -- in 10-bit HEIF extended
  • Standard Output: ISO 160 - 12,800 (1/3 step) and
    Extended Output: ISO 80, 100, 125 and ISO 25,600 & 51,200

• Improved AF tracking and subject recognition AF
  • 10-bit HEIF output (though without 'true HDR' option)
  • Image stabilization rated at up to 7EV
  • 6.2K 'open-gate' video from sensor's full 3:2 region
  • DCI or UHD 4K video from full width, up to 60p
  • Slow-mo DCI or UHD 4K from up to 120fps capture (with crop)
  • Choice of codecs including ProRes HQ, Std and LT options
  • F-Log 2 from 14-bit readout gives additional dynamic range
  • 5.76M dot OLED viewfinder with 0.8x magnification and up to 120fps refresh
  • CFexpress Type B and UHS-II SD slots
  • Optional cooling fan for longer video capture times
  • Far improved audio pre-amp
  • Choice of two optional grips, the VG-XH battery grip and FT-XH file transmitter
NOT Nikon so one would need new / alternative glass. But beyond that both the fuji and OM-1 seem to be a very very capable cameras.

Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 11.55.48.png

I, for one, was hoping for a Nikon D500 replacement in a mirrorless format. I thought for sure that they would have one out by now where Canon has two out. I really don't want a FF for birding. I did buy a Nikon Z6ii for landscape and I have tried it for birding and it is fine but I really want that extra reach and I like to have a dedicated camera for landscape and one for birding. I beginning to think they are not going to make one as it is so late in the game and it seems they are focusing on FF. The Nikon Z9 is too expensive for me and way to big and just out of my league. I have heard of these other systems mentioned but I really hate to change with the investment that I have in Nikon!

I'll just stay happy with my Zfc I suppose. It is working fine for most things. Anybody wanting a DX mirrorless should consider it.

That's TERRIBLE! Why would one spend money on a brochure that leaks? :(
You should send it back!
So you can see how well the weather sealing keeps the water inside the brochure ...... Duh! ;)

Back