DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica R5 Good used body to look for

M

mholdef

I am looking for a decent manual SLR body and 35mm lens for my wife for Xmas (I personally own an M7 but she's not into rangefinders at least for her own needs).

She's used a Canon AE-1 for a while and I was thinking about getting her a Nikon F3MA but then thought about getting her a Leica - but it wouldn't be worth it to break the bank so I imagine even a used R6.2 would require too much cash.

Not knowing the R bodies so well I was wondering if people thought buying a used one would be good value for money and if I should be looking at other bodies.

Thanks in advance

Mark

P.S. Not looking at any rangefinders as she's most comfortable with an SLR fit - at least for now!

happy.gif

Dear Mark,

The purpose I imagine is to access the superb Leica lenses, however one needs a camera body to do so.

IMHO the R6 or 6.2 are overpriced based on being the last mechanical SLR.

Personally my favourite is the Leicaflex or Leicaflex SL, however they are now old cameras and a CLA can cost a fortune.

To move into the electric cameras, the late R4 was OK but not in the class of the R5 which is the best value for money around at present. Personally I prefer the R7, but you are then spending serious money.

Trust I have confused you enough.

Best wishes.

Justin

>Hi, Personnaly I use a M5 and for 1995 Xmas I give a R3 mot and sum 50 2 She is enjoy and now she is better than me with my M5 in spot cell ! sorry for my english I am french !

How about this for a radical idea: A Contax Aria!

I just came back from seeing one for the first time. I shoot mainly Leica M but had the hankering to get an SLR again. I had an RE a few years ago but wasn't all that thrilled with it. I didn't like the viewfinder or the ergonomics all that much. I was totally blown away by this little Aria. The viewfinder image may be the best I have ever seen. Of course this camera allows you to tap into the Zeiss family of glass at a pretty modest price compared to Lecia glass.

Hi Mark, Re: She's used a Canon AE-1... I was thinking about > getting her a Nikon F3MA but then thought about getting her a Leica

> buying a used one would be good value for money and if I should be > looking at other bodies. > I think you should consider whether you want the Leica glass. If you do, then your option is to go with the Leica R (or older Leicaflex).

Value for money. Be warned that Leica R-4's with a serial number below 1,600,000 (and not repaired already) have not proven reliable. In fact, awhile back Leica would accept in trade an R-4 with a lower s/n in trade for an M6 or R8 new. Buying an R-4 for a cheap price then having it repaired will not be good value for $. At that point, better to look for a used R-5. I

R5 for sale. R5 body, very good condition. German made Serial #173xxxx. With body cap, strap and manual by Matheson.Also will toss in a genuine Leica bag.$500. Also have 50mm lens, $250 & 24mm lens, $425 for sale. Both lenses haves caps, good used condition.

Back