DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sensor overburst (how to avoid)

jesito

I'm quite happy with my SIGMA SD9 and the 18-50 lens but for one strange issue: When shooting scenes with bright sky backlighting the scene, I use to get some... sensor overburst? and the blues turn greens.
Just an example:

View attachment 1109

Have any of you experienced this?.

Any suggestions to avoid this would be very welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Jes.

Attachments

• IMG03039.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG03039.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 13
Hi Jes,

your pic is clearly overexposed ... so far so good.

The SD9 should expose correctly with this scene. You should not go for spot-metering here but for multi-segment metering. Otherwise, the comparatively dark trees in the scene push up exposure too much.

Another option is, that your aperture does not work properly?!

That is .. the camera says F-stop 8.0 but the aperture clamps mechanically?! So it does not close correctly for mechanical reasons ... I once had that problem with one of my 18-50 Dc lenses.

Just go for a test! Have your SD in (M)-mode and adjust aperture to F:22.

Then hit the aperture button (lefthand side from the lens) and watch, if it works properly. You also can watch, if the viewfinder then darkens properly.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Hi Jes,

your pic is clearly overexposed ... so far so good.

The SD9 should expose correctly with this scene. You should not go for spot-metering here but for multi-segment metering. Otherwise, the comparatively dark trees in the scene push up exposure too much.

Another option is, that your aperture does not work properly?!

That is .. the camera says F-stop 8.0 but the aperture clamps mechanically?! So it does not close correctly for mechanical reasons ... I once had that problem with one of my 18-50 Dc lenses.

Just go for a test! Have your SD in (M)-mode and adjust aperture to F:22.

Then hit the aperture button (lefthand side from the lens) and watch, if it works properly. You also can watch, if the viewfinder then darkens properly.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Thanks a lot Klaus!
I'll do the test, to be sure if the lens is right. At this time I was using spot metering, but in other cases I've been using multi-segment and sometimes I've gotten similar overexposure...

Kind regards,
Jes.

Back