CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Value of a Titanium M7

Trader history for gr82bagn (0)

gr82bagn

I’m gauging the market value of a Leica M7 Titanium. I inherited this piece last year. It’s been sitting in my closet and has never been used. It’s in the box, comes with a titanium lens, a hard bound book and several other pieces of documentation. I also inherited a Leica Digilux 1 which has become my everyday camera. To repeat I’m not currently selling, I’m just looking for input on what can be considered a fair price. Thanks in advance
Michael

ellie

Hello Mike: As I am sure you will hear from other members, one can get some idea about the value by checking on that infamous auction site. Search the completed auctions to see what the camera outfit has actually sold at. Another way might be to check the price of the outfit "new" at one of the reliable camera stores that are mentioned often ( for ex&le, B&H ), and several of the better known and respected stores that deal with "used" items ( for ex&le, Photo Village, K&S, Kurland Camera, KB Camera, and so many others ). Remember of course, that the "used" dealers will buy the item for 60-80% less then what they sell it for so obviously the value when you sell the gear would be less then the listed selling price. Some of the owners, ( Rich at The Village, Rick at K&B, Eli at Kurland Camera, etc. ) will actually talk with you an give you honest and good advice as to value. Finally, the Leica Historical Society has a very active "for sale" brouchure that you will recieve when you join. You might gain a good idea of the value of your gear that way.

Let us know how things work out.

Elliot

gr82bagn

[Thank you for such a quick reply. I checked eBay and I saw it listed for about $8,000 (B&H) but it also had a couple of components that are not part of the standard set added to the listing. I'll continue to do my research, just one question, do you believe that this camera will increase in value over time, lets say 5 to 10 years? I could use the money for the holidays but I don't need to sell if I think the value will increase over the next few years.]

ellie

Happy to be of small help Mike.

Trying to predict the future prices of camera equipment is a parlous avocation. Certainly the classic Leica M cameras ( the M3 and M4 ), and some of the screw mount cameras have apparently increased in value. The M6 cameras of various kinds appear to be retaining most of their value. The M7 and MP cameras, from the little bit I can deduce ( I am not an expert ), seem to be finding their level based upon how well the new pricing structure for the MP is received. One can say that "used" Leica cameras, as a group, are certainly doing better then any digital camera known to man, and that there is every expectation that such value will be retained as long a there are people shooting film and collecting. However....what happens when film becomes less popular ( and harder to get ), and the collectors move on to something else? Your thoughts are as good as anyone elses. There is a time value to money....one might suspect that if you can realize the value that you seek, sell the gear and invest in something that guarantees 5-6% a year. Thus, the market can go to heck and you are fine. Of course, if the price of titanium triples....

Another fly in this ointment....the digital M series is coming...how will the camera work....the lenses would appear to be safe, but the older bodies will obviously probably not be able to be retrofitted....or can they be....hmmmm....what happens to the value of the older M cameras then?

Best of luck.

gr82bagn

Ellie,
You bring up some good points regarding new technology and its affect on the M cameras value. I must confess, I'm not the shutterbug I thought I would be, I really like the Digilux 1 and if the price is right will contemplate the purchase of a Digital M. As far as the titanium M is concerned, I have seen it listed between 8,500 to 10,500 on eBay. The high end cameras don't seem to sell as fast as the standard edition M. If I want to sell it before the holidays (xmas comming soon) I figure about $4 to $5 thousand would be a fair asking price. Now that I have what I believe is a fair asking price I have to talk my wife into allowing me to sell. She is a firm believer that no matter what happens the value of the camera will go up in a few years. She also talked me into investing over 10,000 dollars in Boston Chicken and we saw what happened there. Anyway thanks for all your help and If I don't hear from you have a wonderful holiday.
Michael

L

leica_mmm

["Ellie, You bring up some good points regarding new technology and its affect on the M cameras value. I must confess, I'm not the shutterbug I thought I would be, I really like the Digilux 1 and if the price is right will contemplate the purchase of a Digital M. As far as the titanium M is concerned, I have seen it listed between 8,500 to 10,500 on eBay. The high end cameras don't seem to sell as fast as the standard edition M. If I want to sell it before the holidays (xmas comming soon) I figure about $4 to $5 thousand would be a fair asking price. Now that I have what I believe is a fair asking price I have to talk my wife into allowing me to sell. She is a firm believer that no matter what happens the value of the camera will go up in a few years. She also talked me into investing over 10,000 dollars in Boston Chicken and we saw what happened there. Anyway thanks for all your help and If I don't hear from you have a wonderful holiday. Michael" Hi Michael, I am intereseted, please contact me via leica_mmm@yahoo.com.tw]

gr82bagn

It's been a couple of years since I got this M7 Titanium and now I need to sell. I tried going on eBay to determine the value but I can't find any M7 Titaniums posted. I have also checked the internet and there does not seem to be any solid information regarding this camera's current value. The camera is an M7 Titanium 50th Anniversary set with all documentation. Never loaded with film and never used. I could take it out for pictures if anyone is interested. If anyone could contribute some updated information it would be appreciated. I will most likely be posting it on eBay by the end of the week or if anyone on this board is local to North Bergen NJ and is interested feel free to pm me. Thanks.

zeta3

> At the start of the year (or late last year), Kurland Photo had the > Titanium M7 with aspherical 50mm Summilux lens for BuymeNow on eBay > at $7500 - I think it went for $7250. They dropped in value from > the initial sale price from Leica. I know because I was interested > then (it was the last time I had any money) :)

gr82bagn

> Based on that type of price drop I would assume that $6000 would be more than fair as an asking price and if I posted it for $5000 it should go quick.

gr82bagn

ravi bindra,

I would be willing to sell for 6000 if you are interested, this would save me the ebay fees. If not no problem as I will be listing it on ebay this week. Thank you for the kind words.

gr82bagn

Although the deal with Ravi did not go through it was a pleasure working out the logistics of the transaction with him. I learned alot during the process. Thank you Ravi. The LEICA M7 Titanium will be posted on eBay in about a week. I would prefer selling outside of eBay to avoid the fees so if anyone is interested please feel free to PM me. I will be asking $6500 for the camera. Buyer is responsible for shipping fees. If I have no takers within a week I will then offer it on eBay to the highest bidder with a starting price of $7, 200. Thank you for your consideration.

zeta3

Likewise with Michael, He was a real gentleman to deal with and I had no doubts, but the idea of spending this amount of money on a camera to collect is not realistic at this time of year. good luck Michael, I hope you get a very good price.

dbaudui1

Please note that I just have won a M7 Titanium with summilux 50 aspherical on ebay for 2300 Euros.... But I fear this is not a correct ebayer, as he is not following the ebay process.
ebayer is in Belgium, item is in Spain and he us refusing to pay via paypal.

Bonjour dbaudui1,

Le montant total payable est de 2.270 euro + 24 euros = 2294 Euros.
Le paquet sera envoyé à l'Espagne. Vous recevrez le colis dans les prochains quatre jours après la confirmation de paiement. Comme mentionné dans ebay, le paiement par virement bancaire. Voici mon compte bancaire:

Prénom - Bolnerg
Laste nom - Maurizio
Adresse - Alcala 57
Banque adresse - Cedaceros 11
Ville - Madrid
Bureau - 0108
Iban code ES56 2043 0108 8004 0051 1439
Swiftcode - CECAESMM043

gr82bagn

2300 Euros converts to $3404 USD, based on this selling price chances are he is not reputable and this is why such a low figure. My prices are firm, if I cannot get the price I'm looking for I will hold onto the camera. A camera is worth only what someone is willing to pay, and I have had several offers at $6000 which is my minimum but paypal fees (fees are why I hesitate to post it on eBay) force me to charge at least $6500 to get my minimum of $6000. If I were able to do a cash transaction I would most likely sell for $6000. This requires a local transaction. Thank you for your input, I will keep it in mind.