CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Video Cable for SD14

yukoner

The manual for the SD14 says to only use the video cable supplied with the camera. The problem is that is it only a very few inches long and I would like to use one that is about 6 ft long.

Is there any reason I can't just use a longer video cable?
Is there some kind of electronic tech knowledge necessary in order to choose one?

Norm

tc95

Video..

Norm,

I do not think there should be anything wrong with putting an extension cable on the end of the adapter to go another 6 feet...just make sure you do not go past 12ft..due to the fact you start loosing signal strength....if you are going to run it longer than 12ft..you will probably want to get some-kind of video amplifier, in order to maintain integrity of the signal..you might also want to get one of those AV magnets to put on the cable were you extend the original Sigma one.....

I do not know if Sigma uses a proprietary cable like Sony and a few other manufactures out there...If you really need to know...I would call Sigma directly...I have done it in the past and they are always pleasant and answer the questions I pose..

Hope this helps a little..

Tony C.

yukoner

Never though of an extension

Thanks Tony, never thought of using an extension. I kept thinking of how to get a longer cable that would have the same resistance, etc. as the Sigma cable.

Your solution is so simple, I stepped right over it looking for something complicated.

yukoner

Replies from Sigma USA and Gentec International re: video cable

I wrote to both Sigma USA and to Gentec Canada regarding the use of a video cable other than Sigma’s that was supplied with the SD14.

From Desiree Gaige at Sigma: “The video cable for the SD14 is dedicated. Therefore, we do not recommend for you to use any other video cable.”

From David Rees at Gentec International (Canadian distributor), “Yes, absolutely. Another manufacturer's Video Cable will be fine. These are standard.”

So, it appears there is a difference of opinion between them :)
At any rate, the extension cable rather than a different cable seems the safest route to go. :)

Norm

tc95

Lol...

I always love when one hand does not know what the other hand is doing...!!!

Tony C.