DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

An SLR will show you true DOF only if you have time to hit the DOF Preview lever, (unless your lens is wide open where most lenses aren't terribly sharp) and then only if the viewfinder is bright enough (and many modern SLRs have dim finders) to give you a good enough view of the field to be of any use.

If you are in a hurry the DOF preview is useless.

The G series works FINE in focus with the '90, if you know how to use it.

The only gripe I have with the G series is that you need to know the DOF off the top of your head or carry a graph around (they come in little booklets) because there is no DOF scale on the lenses.

Dana Curtis Kincaid PCLE Tech Support Indy

I was wondering if anyone has noticed a counter (right small) LCD window on the G1. Mine looks a little 'messy' along one edge, almost as if the LCD crystals 'spilt'. It's not that noticeable though, i was just wondering if mine is the only one.

Thanks
Vivian

>Hello Olivier,

I would like to see your photos as well as your Hyperfocal and DOF tables.

Ivan.

Ivan,

here is the photo of the hyperfocal distance on my G1. Dirk has put the files in the G accessories section of the site.

Olivier.

57550.jpg

>Olivier, Thank you for the files, I have already downloaded them. However, I could not see your photo. Regards,

Hello everybody,
I have read on another site that the G1 may not give accurate focus distance. In order to check mine I mounted it on a tripod and took a reading from the far wall of my bedroom. The G1 displayed 4.6 metres whilst my G2 gave an accurate reading of 3.9 metres (as measured by a tape measure).

Now, until I get the test film back I do not know whether only the readout is inaccurate or whether the camera will have actually set focus incorrectly.

Has anyone else come across this?

Clive

My G1 AF works fine. It has worked fine since I bought it with 35, 45 and 90mm lenses. You sure the AF wasn't just confused where the wall was due to a lack of contrast or something? I've had more trouble with a Nikon N-80 AF than with my G1.

The G2 has a slightly longer baseline for the AF I think, and it's a little smarter.

Dana Kincaid www.pinnaclesys.com

I "believe" that the G1 has a passive auto focus and the G2 has an active/passive auto focus system ...

And the lack of focusing on a bedroom wall c/b just and issue of lack of contrast for the G1.

michael.

Clive,
I have had similar problems with G1/45mm. I've
done extensive tests focusing on high-contrast
targets at various focusing distances. The read-
out on the display is quite accurate but when
I examined the negatives, the lens has focused
behind the target. This distance behind the target
is very consistant which suggests that the
focusing mechanism is actually accurate
but just out of calibration. I believe you can
get this fixed by sending it to Kyocera
service department.

There have been a number of reports regarding
focus accuracy but i beleive it is more a
problem of calibration rather than an inherent
design flaw. Once you've had your body and all
lenses calibrated focusing should be very
accurate.
Conor

Thanks Conner,

I have a film to send off in order to check my camera for accuracy.

When you say that the readout is accurate I take it that you mean it represents the focus distance set by the camera as opposed to the actual camera to subject distance?

I had been toying with selling it and getting another G2, but I guess that the least expensive option is to send it away for a Green Label upgrade and have the focus mechanism checked over.

I actually prefer the G1 though the thought of it getting the plane of focus wrong along with the associated characteristic of not being in a position to confirm what is in focus is worrying.

Regards,

Clive

Back