DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Ebay bargains

dirk

DPRF-Founder
Administrator
@Marc

I am not sure whether you found one already, but there is a 85/1.2 Zeiss lens on ebay from a German dealer.

I do not know the dealer, nor do I know the lens. But because of the German holiday season, ebay is always cheap at the moment. So if you are looking for something, this is now the time to look for it. In 2 weeks more traffic will be on ebay with usually higher prices...

Next bargain time on German ebay will be summer vacation time (End of July & full August)

Hi there, I could not find the 85 1.2 for our Contax system on ebay - quite a few Canon lenses though. Can you recall if it was a 'Buy It Now' item - perhaps it was sold as soon as it appeared? Cheers,

Graham

Hi Didzis,

Thanks very much for the link. I recently bought an 85 1.2 and am tempted at the thought of a back-up - it's either pay my taxes or buy a lens......
Best wishes,

Graham

The lens was sold for 2994 EUR. Is that a bargain? The lens was sold with one year warranty, without the original box, but as a "Gelegenheit" - my German is not that good, Dirk has to help me there - does it mean that it was an new old stock, a display model or what? If that's the case, the lens was as good as new. But the lack of the box kind of relegates it to the non-collectible kind.

I see that someone from Estonia bought it. It turns out that there are Contax "maniacs" in my part of the world, too. I wonder if Jaanos is a member of this forum.

And Graham, taxes ARE important...

Yes, that's a good price for that lens. It is very rare, and unequaled.

It usually sells for $3,800 to $4,500. US depending on condition. One in "Like New" condition should have sold for more than it did. Probably due to the time of year. Holiday just over, Taxes coming up ... at least in the US it's like that. I don't think the lack of a box would effect the price as much as you may think. This lens is highly sought after by digital shooters who adapt it to cameras like the Canon 1DsMKII.

It's real value is in using it.

"This lens is highly sought after by digital shooters who adapt it to cameras like the Canon 1DsMKII."

Humm, I was told this lens can't be mounted into Canon without modification. That's why I am shy on looking into this lens.

Can anyone confirm it?

Albert,

I can confirm that the 85mm f1.2 50 Year Anniversary lens works perfectly on my 5D, without any modification at all, as Thomas below demonstrates.

419298.jpg

I can confirm that the 85/1.2 50 and 60 year anniversary lenses work just fine on the Canon 5D, 20D, 1D, 1DII, 1Ds and 1DsII cameras without any problems. You just need a Contax-to-EOS adapter.

Back