DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

SD10 batteries question

plierouge

Hello,

I played around with my newly purchase SD10 for a week now and so far, I really like the "simplicity" of the camera. You have to take your time, choose the correct settings and composition, etc. No more click click click and let the camera do all the work! Anyway, that great but the battery consumption of th DS10 is not! I knew that the SD10 was a battery junky, but I was not expecting that much. When I forst got the camera, I used a ~two months old NiMh (2100 mAh) that I bought for my Nikon flash. I took about 30 pictures before experiencing a locked camera (a "CF" on the display after the red light when off and a blinking battery when I turn the camera off). When I turned the camera on again, I was able to shoot a few dozen more pictures before having the same shutdown problem. I then decided to charge my batteries and meanwhile, I had a new set of Energizer Ultimate Lithium (supposably the best longing battery ever produced so far... that is according to Energizer...). I managed to shoot a few more pictures, maybe 50-75 before having the same problems. I then bought a brand new set of rechargeable Energizer 2300 mAh. Guess what, 30 shots before a frozen camera. Now, I not sure I completely drained the batteries each time, but I was told that I don't want to do that while the SD10 is writing a picture to the card. Something about completely frozing the camera or someting like that.

Is this a common problem? Will have have more automony with CR3V batteries? I was also planning to buy (if I can find one) a battery grip, but I not if I will only double (~80 pictures) what I currently have with my current set.

One last thing, I always plug the AC adapter before downloading my pictures using the firewire cable.

Anyway, any comments on your own experience will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sébastien

Offtopic (because I've no experience with SD10), but maybe your battery charger is at fault? I know that SD14 charger is weak (thus I have 2 spares always with me); there are some people on net, experimenting with expensive (or even DIY) chargers and getting 1.5-2 times more shots for SD14.

Actually, I was asking myself this exact question the other day. I talked with a Radio Shack saleman and he told me that when the charger's light got off, the batteries are fully charged, what ever the time it took. In my case, it takes about 12-14 hours to charge 4 batteries. I do have a two-year old charger. Are any charger all compatible with any batteries (except the fast charging ones, i.e. 15 min.)?

Sébastien

12-14 hours seems an old charger, able to charge batteries up to 1600mAh (I've got one such for AA, Varta made).

I would buy any charger with 2-4 hours charging time with electronic *independent* channel control, suitable for betteries up to 2600mAh or so. Unfortunately I've no preference among the brand names; I've used one cheap Trust charger - not for camera batteries though. Probably needs some googling to reveal best models.

What about SD10 specific issues - browse or search dpreview Sigma forum, I'm sure that there are alot of older threads about SD10 batteries.

Carpenter's Eye

Hi, Guys, I'm a newcomer to the forum. I have two SD10's with the ide.ntical battery problem. I've just recharged some AA NiMh 2500's overnight - I get two shots then the CF warning. How many times can you re-charged NiMh batteries? Could this be the problem?

I phoned Sigma Service UK and was told a. Theyed never encountered the problem before, and b. The SD10 is 'abit long in the tooth now, it's getting on a bit'! Implying it was shot. Some Service Dept!!!

Carpenter's Eye....What I would do is get yourself some photo lithium batteries...and Alkaline batters and see how many shots you get...you probably just need to do a deep cycle recharge on your NiMh....batteries...

Good Luck....Tony C.:z04_cowboy:

Back