DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax AX

The AX can autofocus with manual lenses by moving the film plane back and forth, rather than moving the lens elements back and forth. It can move the film back from the normal position by up to 10mm. This gives the happy side benefit of allowing all the Zeiss lenses to focus closer than their normal minimum focusing distance.

The AF mode switch has a position called "MACRO" which, when selected, moves the film plane to the most rearward position, which has the same effect as using a 10mm extension tube. In this way, you can dramatically reduce the minimum object distance. The 45mm/f2.8 normally can't focus closer than 2 feet. But on the AX, I can focus down to about 10 inches with the same lens.

I have never used this camera, but I will try to find something about the technical deatails of the focussing system incl the macro function and scan it for you.

Check the download section on the left side regularly. Maybe in a week I will have uploaded it...

dirk

Does the AX (or any other Contax body other than the S2) have a mirror pre-fire function when the 2 sec timer is set? I know only the RTS III has true MLU, but pre-fire is really all I need.

Chad

The N1 body also has this function with the 2 second self timer. The mirror flips up, then 2 seconds later the shutter fires.

Hi Chad,

the AX does not have any mirror lock up.

There are only 5 Contax bodies currently which have the mirror lock up function:

1. All 3 RTS models (RTSI, RTS II, RTS III). It works manually up and down without beeing forced to make an exposure.

2. The S2/S2b and N1. Both have the "indirect" mirror lock up, which means you have to use the selftimer. If you press the shutter in selftimer position, the mirror goes immediately up and after 10 seconds in case of the S2, or 2 seconds in case of the N1 the picture will be made.

dirk

This is not quite true.
The Contax 645 has a True Mirror Lock-up Plus lock up during the delayed action deployment

Hi all
My name is Jan and I am new to this group ( It sounds as if I were in an AA meeting )

I have a problem and would appreciate it if you would read through my message and help me find a solution.

My background is as follow I am 22 years old living in South Africa. I have been doing photography as a hobby since the age of 7.

I do a lot of professional work to finance the hobby ( don’t we all ).

My kit consists of a Nikon F100 F4s Tamron 28-105 F2.8 Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM and a metz 54MZ3 flash.

Look if I said there are anything wrong with the Nikon’s and my lenses I would be telling a lie

Now for the problem as good as they are photography with my Nikon kit feels artificial and plastic. Ex&le if I want to treat myself I put a film in my dad’s old Pentax LX and then go and enjoy my photography.

I am currently thinking of buying a second hand AX with two zoom lenses ( later on buying a few primes ) for my own enjoyment and to keep the Nikon for my professional work.

The reason I am thinking of an AX is that my eyes are not very good and manual focus are getting harder and harder. Secondly I won’t have the money to spend on a N1 or NX and the new lenses.

My other problem is that I would have to buy a camera blind because there are no dealers in SA that I know of that have contax slr’s in stock.

Do you think Contax slr’s and lenses will solve my problem? (the artificial and plastic one)
Opinions would be worth gold.
Regards
Jan Viljoen.

hi jan, with contax you can put a diopterlens in your camera, in the back by unscrewing the eye piece. meaning that you can see sharp through your camera, like having spectacles. it goes to -5 with the extra diopter this I know for sure for the contax ST, that is one of the contaxes I have. for the other contax rts I have it is not possible secondly the contaxes are made from brass and have a good balanced feeling, their weight is approximatly 750 gr. without lens. I feel confident about the contaxes, their quality and reliability.

I am an free lancer working for dutch television broadcast and film

greetings spencer hope

Back