DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

CY Lens Collection Question

i have an Aria with 60mm f2.8 Makro-Planar, 28mm f2.8 Distagon, 45mm f2.8 Tessar 100 years, 135mm f2.8 Sonnar, extension rings set and Mutar II - i'd love a 21mm but as DJG says... they are VERY expensive! I would also like 1 zoom for convenience, probably the 35-70 and the famous 50mm f1.4 - i have held off a little because i have the 45mm tessar. The 100mm makro-planar is indeed great, but I can highly recommend the 60mm too.
happy.gif

Actually, unless you really need the extra half stop, the 1.7 is actually a slightly better performer from all reports I've seen. As we speak I'm waiting for mine to get here from its seller ...

'the 1.7 is actually a slightly better performer from all reports..........' So good I have one for each body. And to be honest I can't tell the difference!!

And I just read that apparently there's more variations on the 1.4 because it was the "kit lens" and more mass produced, so there are some copies that may be better than the 1.7 ...

I guess either way you're not hurting.

DJ, used the Contax 70-210/3.5 Sunday for an AM engagement photo session ... which was the first real job with it. YOU GOTTA GET THIS LENS !!!! There's nothing like it out there. Even the clients asked how come everything looked so sharp, yet smooth and beautiful (bokeh) at the same time.

374122.jpg

Sheesh, Marc, I'm going broke already, enough with the peer pressure
biggrin.gif
... How was the focusing at 3.5 - about the same as the 35-70? Maybe a little easier because of the shallower DOF?

My 18 arrived today from Italy, in excellent shape and an excellent deal, but obviously far from the 21. I still can't believe I was the only bidder! It's the German model, at least, FWIW
happy.gif
. Now I need to wait until the week-end to really try it.

I have to say I'm in love with the 28/2.8. Can the 28/2 be that much better????

Marc,

What camera were you using. I'm hoping it was a Canon and then what screen for focusing?

Asher
happy.gif

I once had an f1.7 which came to bits and had to be repaired... It's years ago and I cannot recall the details but the impression which remains is that it came apart while I was on holiday away from home and I had to seek out a local repairman.

DJ, according to my mentor (big time NYC based photographer), there were certain lenses developed by a number of lens makers over the years that never have been equaled since, and despite computer aids probably never will again due to the staggering costs involved. They came into being because those in control had a passion for developing glass with unique characteristics and spared no expense to make them the hallmarks of their companies ... kind of like a car company making a Formula One race car.

These include many Contax lenses like the 55/1.2, 85/1.2, 70-210/3.5, and the 28/2 as well as the 21/2.8, 100/2 and 135/2. These lenses are more than just a stop or so faster than others. They have a set of properties that set them apart as image making tools of unparalleled excellence.

This phenomenon isn't the exclusive domain of Contax/Zeiss alone. The Nikon 58/1.2 Nocti-Nikor is a passionately pursued lens also, as are lenses like the Canon 200/1.8 and the Leica 180/2 among others such as the Hasselblad/Zeiss 110/2FE which can be had still pretty reasonably and can be adapted to a number of Cameras including the N1, ND, and Canon 1DsMKII.
I also am pursuing some legendary Leica glass for use on Canon digital cameras, recently getting a mint 50/2 three cam for a song that is so much better than the canon 50/1.4 it isn't funny. I'm looking for a 90/2 also because my mentor said it's an unparalleled lens that costs less than a cheap plastic kit lens.

Yes, asher, the Contax 70-210 was mounted to a Canon 1DsMKII, and I use a split prism Canon screen to facilitate manual focusing of a slew of Contax lenses.

Yes DJ, I also am going broke ; -) But I think these items will disappear into passionate shooters collections and do nothing but become more rare, thus more expensive. The 55/1.2, 85/1.2 and 21/2.8 have already moved out of my price range.
The 35/1.4 is climbing in price if e-bay auctions are any indication.

BTW, whoever was talking about the Zeiss 45 Pancake lens, I'd advise keeping it. Placed on an Aria, this little package can perform right up there with a Leica M and 50mm.

Here's a high key shot taken with a Contax 645 using a Kodak ProBack 645C and a 110/2F Zeiss lens mounted on it.

374125.jpg

marc, i know where there are some L 90/2 3-cam lenses for sale ranging between £275 and £475 + P&P/import. Let me know if you are interested and I will PM you the details. They have a 90/2 Apo ROM too... Antony

Back