DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Can 645 with MP1 be effectively mounted onto a tripod

Albert, thank you very much for the in-depth report. I have been considering this lens for some time now. It would be just one lens on the body to pretty much cover most formal wedding applications... like group shots and the like, where a wide aperture isn't needed except maybe to facilitate focusing. But even there I tend to use a magnifier with the camera on a tripod. Hmmm, so many thing to squander your hard earned cash on.

Marc, I had attended a wedding in SF earlier this year, and the photog was only using a C645 with the 45-90 zoom the whole way. He didn't have anything else other than this setup, and although it is not as versatile as 35mm cameras, it does produce magnificent images. I remember he was handholding it 90% of the time, even in very dark situations where he claimed he kept the shutter opened for up to 1/15th second.

Note that I only saw the pics he took before the wedding, i.e. on the beach, near the Golden Gate Bridge, etc., but I didn't get the chance to see the ones where he handheld at 1/15th second because I live in Hong Kong.

ALBERT:
Is it really possible to hand hold the 45-90 zoom at 1/15th second??????
Since you have the lens could you let us konw if it is true?????? Or have you already tried it???

Marc, I place the camera on it's base with a an Arca style quick release plate attached. While I don't "wrap" the camera, I do cover it with a cloth.(mainly to avoid strap hardware blemishing the body/prism).I add another lens, various Cokin filters,sprit level, Leica M6 and 3-4 lenses and Incident light meter. Whilst I'm no Mr Universe, I have managed to hike Yosemite, Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon. I have also just returned from the Cayman Islands.
Colin

Steve, 1/15th of a second with a hand held Medium Format camera in ambient light alone is a superhuman accomplishment, even at the 45mm end of that zoom. At the 90mm end it would be God like.

However, that is only if you are after crisp, razor sharp images. Some interesting creative effects can happen using slower shutter speeds.

If the photographer was using flash, then 1/15th is entirely feasible because the duration of the flash burst influences the appearance of subject sharpness. The C645 and TLA360 are capable of second shutter flash which makes such work look even more natural. I shoot SLRs at 1/15th when using flash on a regular basis at weddings. It captures more ambient background light which is usually out of focus anyway, while the flash "freezes" the main foreground subject.

Colin, we may be talking about different bags. I think yours is a rounded backpack, where the LowePro Omni Trekker I mentioned is more of a suitcase shaped bag that isn't that deep. It has a waist harness that normally is hidden in the rear of the bag as opposed to true backpack shoulder harness. I also have the backpack type bag, which does take the C645 camera intact... but I find it to be more bulky.

The bracket I have F/S is a rotating type, not a flip bracket.
Flip brackets stress the off camera connection to much (I've had one bust in half during a wedding shoot). Instead this bracket rotates the camera keeping the flash where it is (directly over the lens to minimize drop shadows). It has a quick release with anti-twist plate that specifically locks into the C645 base. Brand name "Custom Brackets". Never used... $100 + shipping
164545.jpg

Steve,

As Marc explained, using flash in 1/15 second is okay as the short flash duration ( much faster than 1/1000) freezes motion. You Suject will be sharp.

If I shoot wedding in medium format, I would use the 45-90mm zoom for sure. Paired up with the TLA360 and the bracket that Marc showed, it would be a very nice setup.

Marc, does your bracket include the quick release plate? Can I attached it onto a tripod. If so, I will buy it from you.

Albert.

Hi Albert,

I also bought a 2nd C645 quick release plate. So if you lose one, there is another. Or you can remove the anti-twist pins and use it for a second camera.

As to a tripod connection, no it doesn't have a female receiver for a tripod screw. But it does have a quick release receiver built into the bottom plate. So, the "Custom Brackets" company must make a quick release tripod head adapter for it. Their phone # is right on the bracket.

One question, where are you located? I've had a great deal of difficulty shipping out of the US to even Canada. On an item this inexpensive, it isn't worth the hassle and paper work involved.

If that is the case I can get their number to you and you could order direct from them. It'll be more expensive, but this is the most secure rotating bracket I could find. The others let the camera flop around if you tilted it to much. This one stays until you move into the second position.

Hi Marc,

I am located in San Francisco (Walnut Creek to be exact.)

Be able to mount on tripod is important for me. Let me check around to see what option I have and get back to you.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Al.

I'd agree with Albert's position. The 45-90 is outstanding, the more I use the Contax 645 system the more I think its real virtue is the glass you screw into the front.

Wide open the 45-90 is 100% useable, and absolutely the equal of fixed focal length equivalents. I'd recommend using the split image focusing screen with this lens, which doesn't black out even if you're none too precise about positioning your eye centrally. In terms of weight it's about half way between Canon's 24-70L and their 70-200L, so it's beefy but not unmanageable. If there's a downside then for me it's the 95mm filter size, I'd use this lens more out in the field but I haven't found a wide angle filter solution in the Lee system at 95mm.

Incidentally, while eulogising about Contax optics I'd mention two other little commented upon stars. First the 55mm f3.5. It's light, compact, gives a perspective that I'm very comfortable with, and the optical quality is tremendous.

Second is the 350mm Tele-Apotessar. I found a used ex&le about a year ago complete with the Mutar. I'm working on a portfolio for a Royal Photographic Society distinction and needed a long MF lens, so sold my eldest daughter into slavery and took the plunge. At first I was hesitant as the Zeiss MTF graphs show the Apotessar as inferior to the Hasselblad 350mm Superachromat. I shouldn't have worried, it's a very fine lens, even wide open with the Mutar. The 350mm revolving tripod collar is a real boon with the 645 format, and I wish Contax had offered something similar with other lenses.

Back