Wanted: Contax i4R camera

Trader history for tancox (0)

tancox

Hello everyone,
I am a new member to the forum, and very new to Contax cameras. I have always appreciated good engineering particularly in relation to small and sub miniature cameras like Minox and Rollei. I recently started collecting small digital cameras, starting with Canon ixus i 4mp in different body colours. Whilst searching such cameras, I came across the Contax i4R digital pocket camera which I see as a wonderful piece of miniature engineering and quality for a small camera. I managed to find one for sale (brand new) on ebay in Singapore. It was expensive but I could not resist it. It is Black and Silver. I am so impressed with the speed of the camera and the quality of its functions and results that I am looking to develop a collection of the three colours of this model. In particular I am looking for either a Silver, or a Red & Gold model if anyone is thinking of selling one or knows where one is for sale. Any help to find these additions to my collection would be very appreciated. Many thanks and I look forward to becoming a keen contax user and collector. Joseph

pr1uk

Contax i4R

Hello everyone,
I am a new member to the forum, and very new to Contax cameras. I have always appreciated good engineering particularly in relation to small and sub miniature cameras like Minox and Rollei. I recently started collecting small digital cameras, starting with Canon ixus i 4mp in different body colours. Whilst searching such cameras, I came across the Contax i4R digital pocket camera which I see as a wonderful piece of miniature engineering and quality for a small camera. I managed to find one for sale (brand new) on ebay in Singapore. It was expensive but I could not resist it. It is Black and Silver. I am so impressed with the speed of the camera and the quality of its functions and results that I am looking to develop a collection of the three colours of this model. In particular I am looking for either a Silver, or a Red & Gold model if anyone is thinking of selling one or knows where one is for sale. Any help to find these additions to my collection would be very appreciated. Many thanks and I look forward to becoming a keen contax user and collector. Joseph

Did you ever find one i wonder i have never tried this model but would not mind finding one and trying one myself if its as good as the SL300RT* then it shot be sharp enough to use even in 2011

Anyone got a good full working one for sale

tancox

Contax i4r

Hi pr1uk,

Since posting this request on the Contax site, I have managed to find a Red Contax i4r. It was on Ebay in Australia and totally mint. Again I paid quite a lot for it, but as it was mint and boxed it was worth it as they are very rare to get hold of. I saw one a couple of weeks ago on Ebay Hong Kong which was a silver one but the price was a little too high for me (I think about £240). It did look mint though. A Red one came up in US Ebay, but I missed it. The one in australia came up a week later and I secured that one. There is a site in Japan which overseas buyers can bid on through a third party group which gets Contax camera very regularly the details are:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
Although they are 4mp, the lens quality is superb and the speed of the camera and results are far better than many similar or higher spec cameras. I have also recently bought a used Contax u4r which I think was the newer model of the SL300RT. Again a very well made camera, with great engineering and results. The only negative I have with the i4r, is they are very easily scratched. You have to take care how you store them and handle them. I am very careful how I look after my cameras, but even so, I scratched my Black one simply by keeping it in a leather case. A piece of grit must have been in the case and when it was removed from the case it caused a scratch, so no longer mint. I am still looking for a Silver coloured one to make my collection, but I will wait until one comes along at the right price. Hope this helps.

tancox

Contax i4r

Hi pr1uk,

Apologies if you already received my reply, as I sent a reply and then was told I wasn't logged in, although I had gone through the logging in process.
Anyway, Yes I have managed to get one more Contax i4r in RED. I came across it on Ebay Australia. It was mint and boxed, and although a little high in bids, it was worth it. I missed another red one a week earlier in USA. I got outbid. There was a silver one in Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago, but it was a bit high for me (about £240). The i4r is a beautiful made camera in Magnesium alloy. If I am honest, they feel a little delicate particularly the pulled out ON/OFF section. Also to my regret, they are quite prone to getting scratched easy, if they come into contact with even something as small as grit in a leather case, (which is what happened to my Black/Silver camera.) As far as results are concerned, they are superb due to the high quality lens which I think gives a far better result than many higher MP cameras on the market today. The best thing about these cameras is their size. They remind me of the minox film cameras from Germany as they are so beautiful engineered and small in size. I have also bought a Contax U4R, which was the replacement I think for the SL300RT. Again a very well made camera, which I think is a better camera than the i4r, due to the build quality, the size of the viewfinder and of course the zoom facility of the lens. Again I bought it off Ebay for a very reasonable price of £58. For your information there is a web site where overseas buyers can bid on a Japanese auction through a third party. There are loads of Contax i4r's and U4r's coming up on this site. The details are:

I hope all this helps and good luck finding a camera. If you need anything else, just ask. Tancox

pr1uk

Hi pr1uk,

Apologies if you already received my reply, as I sent a reply and then was told I wasn't logged in, although I had gone through the logging in process.
Anyway, Yes I have managed to get one more Contax i4r in RED. I came across it on Ebay Australia. It was mint and boxed, and although a little high in bids, it was worth it. I missed another red one a week earlier in USA. I got outbid. There was a silver one in Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago, but it was a bit high for me (about £240). The i4r is a beautiful made camera in Magnesium alloy. If I am honest, they feel a little delicate particularly the pulled out ON/OFF section. Also to my regret, they are quite prone to getting scratched easy, if they come into contact with even something as small as grit in a leather case, (which is what happened to my Black/Silver camera.) As far as results are concerned, they are superb due to the high quality lens which I think gives a far better result than many higher MP cameras on the market today. The best thing about these cameras is their size. They remind me of the minox film cameras from Germany as they are so beautiful engineered and small in size. I have also bought a Contax U4R, which was the replacement I think for the SL300RT. Again a very well made camera, which I think is a better camera than the i4r, due to the build quality, the size of the viewfinder and of course the zoom facility of the lens. Again I bought it off Ebay for a very reasonable price of £58. For your information there is a web site where overseas buyers can bid on a Japanese auction through a third party. There are loads of Contax i4r's and U4r's coming up on this site. The details are:

I hope all this helps and good luck finding a camera. If you need anything else, just ask. Tancox

Hello and thank you for reply
I have just got a black one off eBay for £43.53 so will have one to try next week and i thought a fair price. So now have the SL300RT* and the i4r. Lottery win then i will look again for a N1 digital but until the win i have given up they cost far too much.

Peter

tancox

Black & Silver i4r

Hi Peter,

Thanks for letting me know of your recent purchase of a Contax i4r. I was watching that camera on Ebay myself just to see how it went. You got it for a great price. At the end of last year I managed to track down a MINT red and Gold i4r in Australia through Ebay, whichI won, but I paid a lot of money for it due to its virtually unused condition. It was still in its plastic bag togeter with accessories and boxes. I am sure it had never been used. Its certainly a beautiful addition to my collection. I need to find a Silver one now to finish my collection. I am sure you will be happy with the camera. One of the noticeable things with these camera is the very fast shutter speed. You don't have to wait ages between shots, like you do with many digital cameras. I have several Canon i4's and i5's which are similar in quality to the Contax. Their shutter speed it very slow in comparison though, but a beautiful camera all the same. However when you want to take multiple shots and you don't want to miss the action, the Contax leaves the Canon behind. Thanks for letting me know about your win. I am sure you will take it everywhere with you as it is such a tiny camera to put in your pocket. Good luck Joe

pr1uk

Hi Peter,

Thanks for letting me know of your recent purchase of a Contax i4r. I was watching that camera on Ebay myself just to see how it went. You got it for a great price. At the end of last year I managed to track down a MINT red and Gold i4r in Australia through Ebay, whichI won, but I paid a lot of money for it due to its virtually unused condition. It was still in its plastic bag togeter with accessories and boxes. I am sure it had never been used. Its certainly a beautiful addition to my collection. I need to find a Silver one now to finish my collection. I am sure you will be happy with the camera. One of the noticeable things with these camera is the very fast shutter speed. You don't have to wait ages between shots, like you do with many digital cameras. I have several Canon i4's and i5's which are similar in quality to the Contax. Their shutter speed it very slow in comparison though, but a beautiful camera all the same. However when you want to take multiple shots and you don't want to miss the action, the Contax leaves the Canon behind. Thanks for letting me know about your win. I am sure you will take it everywhere with you as it is such a tiny camera to put in your pocket. Good luck Joe
Cheers Joe,
Yes i was the winner on the eBay one and thought £43.53 was a good price too. He could not post till Monday so will get it Tuesday and yes i will give it a real try out i like small cameras for candid shots. The SL300RT* is a great little camera old but produces sharp photos. Had SL300 and SL400 and got rid of them not the same quality lenses. I use a Sony A700 for days out but always have the SL300RT* in my pocket now i will try the i4R as well. If i win the lottery one day i may even afford the N1 and some Contax glass.
All the best
Peter

hajet

Re Contax i4R For Sale

I have a red one in excellent condition with original accessories, but it's lacking CD ROM, and original video camera cord.

pr1uk

I have a red one in excellent condition with original accessories, but it's lacking CD ROM, and original video camera cord.

I got one of eBay for just under £44 and my son now uses it as a second camera i still use my Contax SL300RT*..
I have gone ultra modern and now have as a main camera a Sony Nex-7 with three lens, 30mm, 18-55mm and a 55-210 but today i am off visiting not taking photos. In this case i will always my trusty old Contax SL300RT* just in case something comes up. May buy an adapter and some Contax glass for my Nex-7 one day.