DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2

Hello Pals,

Just to tell to anybody that there is a "very special sale" in France. You buy the G2 + 35 mm + 90 mm for more or less 2.400 € and they "GIVE" you the 21 mm ! Incredible but true. I wanted to go to Contax from my M6, I didn't hesitate long. I definetely find the Leica great but too very too expensive.
Have a good pleasure with G2
Nicolas, Paris

Hi All,
Just to add to the information Nicolas gave about the special offer in France on G2 Kit.
U.K. has a similar kit and offer.
I saw it in a London Dealers Shop. 5 Lens KIT
G2 + 28mm, 35mm, 45mm, 90mm and the 21mm is FREE but also in the kit is the TLA200 Flash 3 Metal Lens Hoods and it all comes in a special metal fitted case. They have called it the Ultimate Kit, good name as you have all you need and looks great in the fitted case.
A friend just back from Hong Kong has told me he saw a G2 70 Year kit also,
Bob

Those are fantastic deals. That's less than the cost of an M7 *body* for an entire G system.

I paid a pretty good amount just for the 21mm Biogon and have never regretted it. Wonderful lens, simply wonderful.

--Rick

I think these sales, especially in France, are because the G series have had no good reviews at the begining. They try in Contax France to appeal some new users. Rick you're right. I sold my M6 and 35 mm and with a few notes I have the deal. It was time, because in France since the M7 is on the market, the dealers shelves are full of M6 and the second market is going down each day,

Nicolas

I've got the 90, 45 and 35 and am seriously considering getting the 28mm from Delta Int'l. The lens prices are amazing compared to any of the Leica stuff. I paid about $700 for my green label G1 wi' a 35mm lens, about $280 for the 45mm, $250 for a slightly used 90mm with lens hood and Contax filter and carry bag. Got to be one of the greatest deals in cameras today.

There are rumours of a G3 which is to be digital (http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1034956188.html), which means it will need retrofocus design lenses i.e. the Biogon design for the 21mm and 28mm won't work with a digital sensor. This may explain why they are "giving away" the 21mm in the Ultimate kit here in the UK for £2149. I have also seen the limited edition kit for sale brand new at Mifsuds (http://www.mifsuds.com) for £1499.

Knowing Contax it may be some time before such a camera as the G3 arrives, however. Check out the Contax stand at the Focus On Imaging 2003 show at the NEC in February here in the UK. Sometimes they will share what is going on.

re. digital.

It's conceivable that they'd use a different type of chip that allows for symmetrical lens designs, or perhaps use a chip that's smaller than 24x36mm (a solution I'd hope they'd avoid).

If a digital G couldn't use the 21, it also wouldn't be able to use the Hologon 16, the Biogon 28 nor the zoom--half the current G lenses.

I wouldn't read too much into the 21mm blow-out. Contax has been doing the same thing in the States with certain G lenses and a number of the MF SLR lenses. I suspect it's more due to excess inventory than anything else.

--Rick

> I couldn't get this link to work. The main imaging-resource news page seems to contain nothing about this. Help!

On the imaging-resource.com site if you go into news archive for October 2002, and scroll down to the 18th October 2002 you will find a link to the digital G3 article there

Back