CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Wanted (digital) UK

Trader history for pr1uk (0)

pr1uk

A long shot i know but as anyone got a digital SLR for sale at a fair price in the UK. I shoot a SL300RT on a regular basises (my 24/7 pocket camera) and a Leica V-Lux 1 as a main camera i would love to shoot an N series as i dont see many on Flickr and thats a shame. So looking for a digital camera and lens for a fair price that will be used every week and posted on Flickr. Contax are such wonderful cameras they should not be sitting on shelfs or in draws.

dirk

CI-Founder
Hi pr1uk,

will be hard to find one these days. Great camera, but battery consumption is really high. ISO above 250 difficult to handle. I used to have one, liked it a lot but sensor technology improved so much year over year at other brands, that it made no sense to keep it after a couple of years.

Best wishes

pr1uk

Hi pr1uk,

will be hard to find one these days. Great camera, but battery consumption is really high. ISO above 250 difficult to handle. I used to have one, liked it a lot but sensor technology improved so much year over year at other brands, that it made no sense to keep it after a couple of years.

Best wishes

I was offered one a day ago and he wanted the earth for it i would have to sell a kidney then i realised it was without a lens. So with a lens i would have to sell all my body parts and everything else i own.
As an OAP i am saving hard for a new camera and will have a budget of £1000 by the end of the year. On my want list were

Contax N or 8/9 with digital back
Lieca (Real one not a red badged panny) M8 plus lens)
Epson R-D1 plus lens

all out of reach so i will probably get a Juji X100

Then i will still use the Leica V-Lux 1 for when i set off to take photos,
The X100 as a carry incidental shots
PLUS the Contax SL300RT for when i cannot even carry a camera except something that fits in anywhere and gives good results.

Cheers
Peter

dirk

CI-Founder
Hi Peter,

I would not recommend to buy a Contax ND for more than 500 Euro. The question is more, whether it is a good idea to buy one nowadays at all. Sensor technology moved so fast. You can have nowadays a fullframe DSLR for between 800-1500 Euro. Canon 5D, Nikon D700, Sony A850/A900.

None of them is a Contax, but with DSLRs, the sensor generation is more important for image quality then the brandname on the body. And with Canon and Sony you can use new Zeiss lenses and old Contax lenses too. With Nikon only the newer ZF lenses.

I have the Fuji X100. A lovely camera. There is a huge step forward im Image quality to the Contax 300. Only AF is not the quickest, but still better then tha Contax 300.

Best wishes

pr1uk

Hi Peter,

I would not recommend to buy a Contax ND for more than 500 Euro. The question is more, whether it is a good idea to buy one nowadays at all. Sensor technology moved so fast. You can have nowadays a fullframe DSLR for between 800-1500 Euro. Canon 5D, Nikon D700, Sony A850/A900.

None of them is a Contax, but with DSLRs, the sensor generation is more important for image quality then the brandname on the body. And with Canon and Sony you can use new Zeiss lenses and old Contax lenses too. With Nikon only the newer ZF lenses.

I have the Fuji X100. A lovely camera. There is a huge step forward im Image quality to the Contax 300. Only AF is not the quickest, but still better then tha Contax 300.

Best wishes

Dirk,
Thank you for your sound advice i did know the sensor used in the N series had problems ans yes i know modern sensors have got better and better. I am 63 force into retirement on a state handout and photography is my only hobby. Its just newer cameras dont turn me on i love old cameras that why i like the look of the Fuji X100. Being old i also like a viewfinder cant get on with holding a camera out i like the camera in my face thats why the X1 is ruled out as well as price. Last year i saved a grand and almost bought a R-D1 with a 50mm lens but stopped because of all the problems i read about them now i kick myself as it was offered for £750 and i wish i had bought it now. Should be contented really i have my Leica V Lux 1 (yes i know its a red dot panny) for photo days out and the little Contax 300 carried 24/7 for those emergency shots. The X100 could prove a good middle camera but i have read the focus is very slow for such an expensive camera.

cheers
Peter