DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax N1

To James:

if you want long teles your list will be Canon or Nikon. If you don't, make up your mind whether you want AF or MF, which reduces your list quite a bit. Then go out and physically handle the selected few with some lenses, read reviews, and buy what you like best. I don't see any other way for you to come to an informed decision.
Good luck, and being biased, I of course would recommend the Contax N1 with 24-85 and 70-200, and TLA360....

I got my N1 a few days ago and have just had a chance to experiment with it.

My first reaction has nothing to do with images, or the quality, etc., but it is not a happy one. I suddenly discover that the cable release I had to buy for my G-2 won't work on the N1!

Instead I have to buy a $50.00 LA-50. This is ridiculous. I don't know if anyone from Contax monitors this board, but if so they should note that this generates a VERY negative reaction. It is inexcusable. To begin with, why can't both cameras take ordinary releases? And if that's too hard to figure out why can't they at least use the same one?

If I've misunderstood the situation please tell me.

Hi! Folks. I have just had the FX1 screen fitted to my N1, and much like alot of you I have the same problem Auto, and Manual do not match. Although the differential is not great, I feel it ought to be corrected, but I cannot decide if it is worth the hassel of sending the damned thing back, and being without it for something like a Month, or wether to stick with it.
There is the option of using the manual focusing button, to get me into the area quickly, and then fine tune so to speak with the manual ring on the lense. After all, has any camera body got the precise perfect Auto Focus system ? I dont know.
The simple question is folks, WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?
I realise that speedy focusing is essential for sport, and in some cases wildlife photography, but I am not all that fussed about either of those. On the other hand if more,and more of us accept thissituation Contax will let us I guess.
Your comments would be appreciated,to sway me one way or the other.
Kind regards. Ken Taylor.

Ken, If I understanding correctly that autofocus is not always making an accurate focus (not talking about speed, just accuracy) then I think that is something to address with Contax. I don't have the body in question, but I know that my Canon bodies always autofocussed with precision accuracy with good L series Canon lenses. I had trouble achieving focus only when putting a cheap lens on the front, it would hunt. That's obviously not the case with your system, no cheap lens in the N series. If you're trying to focus on a person's face, in fair lighting, your camera should have no trouble getting a focus. Is it failing in such a circumstance? Or is it failing in a dark setting? That accuracy problem sounds like something you should NOT have to live with when you've paid considerable cash for a good system. -Lynn L.

Ken
I had to have my N1 recalibrated, I would not except it that way, I send it back to NJ, and believe me I felt the same way that you do, but there service I must say is excellent. got it back in 10 days, also the lens was sent back, and got that back in 10 days.

Good luck
Rick

Ken, what make you to send your N1 and lens back for recalibration? Was there a auto focus problem in the body or lens?

Hi! Folks.
Many thanks for your replies, and the comments that you have submitted. As yet I haven't taken the camera body back to my dealer, but intend to do so ASAP.
I have done further trials this morning, and find that the focusing between the Auto focus, and the Manual focus with the aid of the FX1 screen, has a greater differential with the 70mm - 300mm lense, than with the 24mm- 85mm lense, so it is fairly obvious that it is the calibration of the camera body that is at fault, rather than the lenses themselves.
My method of testing the accuracy of the focusing was to focus onto a distinct straight edge ie:- a door casing, or the edge of the door itself using the Auto focus facility. It clearly shows a discontinuation of the straight edge, and can only be rectified by using the manual focus ring on the lense itself.
Having mentioned this fault to my dealer, he suggested that I may not be looking into the view finder correctly, squarely in line with the prism of the view finder. I think after something like 50 years in photography, and having used Bronica, Nikon, Canon, and Contax cameras,I am quite capable of using the equipment properly.
I have no doubt in my mind now, that the body has to go back to Contax to be re-calibrated.
Many thanks for your interest folks.
Kind regards Ken Taylor.

Back Again.
Would a few of you mind experimenting with your N1 please. Focus as I did onto a straight edge with a difference in contrast, and see if you get a break in the continuation of the straight line. I would be interested in your findings.
Regards. Ken Taylor.

Ken,
I had the same problem ... took it back to the Contax service center and it was fixed in 15 minutes. Don't drive yourself crazy, just get it calibrated and it will be fine. I also did not see the problem until i bought the split image screen. Rick

Ken,
I just tested both my 24-85 and my 70-300 lenses. Focused on every straight edge I could find and didn't get a "break" with either lens at any length.
Hope this helps.
Jeff Roberts

Back