DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax Zeiss Planar 50 1,5 MMJ Ninja Star??

reni.phil

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Planar 50 1,4 MMJ in really good condition (see photos attached). The only thing I wonder about: although it's an MMJ (which means there should not be any ninja star in the blades or bokeh as far as I know), at f2, there clearly is.

Is this possible for an MMJ version or could it be a scam? Maybe because it was build in the transition phase from AEJ to MMJ?
Any experiences with this here?

Looking forward to hear from you!

Greetings Philipp

Attachments

• IMG_2240.JPG
    EXIF
    IMG_2240.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2242.JPG
    EXIF
    IMG_2242.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 19
My MMJ has no cut out visible between the blades at F2. It has a later serial number but still in the 687 range. My AE has a rather more pronounced cut out between the blades at F2, it also has a consistent cut out at each blade, yours does not appear to have a consistent cut out to me. My guess is it is an MM that has maybe been repaired.

Sounds reasonable. I saw the inconsistency in the blades too.
Do you think that this could be fixed by servicing the lens?

My guess is that it doesn't not have the right blades in. So I suspect that it would require more than a service, does it work ok.

Back