DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

DMRRAW files for downloading and experimenting

Hi Tigerish.
I have a set of K lenses by Pentax and I would use them on the digital body Pentax ist Ds.
It's possible? Some vendors tell to me that, in this case, I lose all the automatism and the metering is not possible. It's true?
Thanks.

Hi, Danilo. I don't have any Pentax K lenses, but I think it's possible that there's limited functionality. The Pentax discussion site where I could find the answer to this for sure is down for maintenance for a few days. Of course this limited functionality is also true of M42 to a certain extent. This said, K lenses are compatible with both the D and the DS.

Tigerish, I'm not sure what they mean by the double-threaded business. I would guess it deals with the internal construction. Whatever, it's reassuring you like the lens. I'm really looking forward to it. Have you used it for portraiture? If so how are the results?

DJ, I'm mainly into 'nature photography' in a broad sense together with anything that takes my fancy when travelling (I shot a lot of 'human interest' scenes on my last trip to China) so I don't do a lot of portraiture. At home I've been concentrating on the Australian bush and have specifically been doing a major study of Grass Trees. (Xanthorrea Australis) There are some ex&les on my web site http://febury.com. The pictures there are actually taken with the 'kit lens' that came with my *istD. I normally use my 100/2.8 for this type of quasi 'macro' shot but here because the subjects were constantly moving, I had to use AF.

Generally I judge a lens by how it performs wide open; (this is particularly important for 'human interest' shots that are 'snapped' hand held) by smooth bokeh; and by colour rendition since most of my work is in colour. For me the 100/2.8 works very well on all these counts. In addition the focal length suits my kind of photography; the shortening of perspective that you get with 100mm is particularly suitable. Having said all this, I think myself, and have been told by others who have seen my photographs, that my other favourite lens that I use with my R6 an Angenieux 180/2.3, outranks the Leitz 100/2.8. But only just, and of course the Angenieux doesn't have macro.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the lens when it arrives and am also sure that you'll find it very suitable for portraits.

All the best

To get back to the top of this topic - it ist pretty obvious to see, that the light situation / light metering of these "comparison shots" is strongly different. You cannot compare a underexposed image to a correct one - Neither in times of film nor in digital days now...I wouldn't pay too much attention on amateurish reiews on the internet...

OK, here are a few snapshots with the R 100 2.8 APO Macro on a 1DsII. I have to say this is about the most perfect optic I own, my only possible complain being it's on the heavy side. There's 0 CA even in severe backlit scenes, and it's razor sharp to the corners. It may need some blurring in PS for portraits
happy.gif

R 100 APO Floral 1
R 100 APO Floral 2
R 100 APO Floral 3
R 100 APO Floral 4
R 100 APO Statue
R 100 APO Portrait

Back