DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Aperture and resolution

G

Dear all:

I switched to G2 from an SLR and wonder whether f8 (or "at-least-2-stops-down") rule of thumb, which works fine with most SLR lenses, applies to G masterpieces as well.

I have heard that rangefinder lenses are exceptional when used wide open and, definitely, high resolution/sharpness is not the only criterion of a good image, but I would be grateful for any comments on apertures of particular G lenses that are thought to result in the highest resolition parameters.

Thank you in anticipation.

Best regards,

Maxim Levinson

Maxim,

I've never owned a lens that didn't sharpen up when stopped down from maximum aperture, the G lenses included (okay, the 16 Hologon excepted). The other consideration, especially with the 45 and 90, is acheiving better autofocus results by using greater DOF.

All the G lenses look sharp wide open, with the *possible* exception of the 35. There's been some controversy around this lens, with some folks loving it and others hating it. Some claim it isn't a sharp lens, others say it has bad bokeh. It's possible that some bad ex&les have been shipped, but I've never considered that likely, given Carl Zeiss' 100% QC inspection practices.

In sum, the G lenses are the sharpest, best quality lenses I've ever owned, including those I have for the Contax SLR system and my Hasselblad C lenses. They are the best reason to get into the G system.

--Rick

Hi Maxim,

I've found that there is plenty of resolution and contrast for all lenses opened up all the way, except for the 35. They're "plenty good". I like to stop the 35 down a couple of stops.

All lenses are better stopped down, but in a low light situation where you need it wide open, or where you want very limited depth of field the G lenses provide you with perhaps the best resolution, sharpness, contrast available for any lens from any manufacturer.

When considering resolution, I've learned that a good tripod is far more important that what aperature you're shooting at for apparant resolution.

In any case, enjoy these lenses. They don't make them any better for wide-open shooting!

David

Back