DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Card confusion

L

lynton

Hi, I have both XD and Compact Flash cards in my C-5060z. I'm having no trouble downloading images from the XD card but unable to download from (formatted) Compact Flash. Tried various programs and switching cards with XDCF button. I can see photos have been recorded on the CF card in normal camera playback mode (they are there!) but trying to access them from the computer draws a blank. Should both cards content be automatically downloaded or shouldn't I just be able to switch from one to the other? I can find no info in the manual... am I missing something? Grateful for any suggestions.

Have you tried turn on the camera, switch to CF card, turn off, connect to computer and turn on again?

I have a C-5050 and is the only way to switch between XD and CF card, and connect the camera to the computer after.

If you had a card reader, you could test if the CF card works properly.

Hope this helps

Hi Joan, thanks for the info - seems like these cameras don't operate exactly the same but I've been sorted out on the 5060 forum. You'd think they'd put something about this in the manual! Thanks again, Lynton.

You mean, Lynton, that really user-friendly C-5060WZ Reference Manual which has to be accessed from a PC or else printed out on a mass of A4 sheets, for want of a neat little A6 booklet.

Yep, that exactly - it's almost as user-friendly as the On-Off switch (I have huge thumbs!)

I use my thumbnail but you can't win 'em all!
I don't know if Olympus (Japan) reads these posts but it really is a great camera. I did read Steve's Digicams'
www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
reviews of the 5060 & 5080 and I am glad I settled for the 5060, particularly the fully articulated LCD. Taking photos of the ceilings of Indian temples was easy. Crank the LCD round to face forward, lay the camera on its back on the floor, compose and release with the remote. It would have been even better if I had had a printed Reference Manual so that I could experiment with things like white balance, etc.

I agree, the LCD is superb. I have a Canon A80 but it doesn't compare to this Olympus, although it does have a much better (complete) manual, six times as thick which, like you, I do like to carry around in the camera bag! Both these cameras were bought to replace an old Sony 505V which is very good but the LCD is shot and it doesn't have a view-finder. An expensive business, this digital phtography. I still have a years' old Canon SLR conventional film camera which functions as well as the day I got it. I've only had the 5060 a couple of weeks and have much to learn - I did appreciate your tip about shooting ceilings!

Back