DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Thoughts on latest 90mm f2

Hi Vishal,
All lenses have characteristics. Just as a Nikkor 35mm f2 differs from a 35mm f1.4, so do Leica's optics. The 35mm and 50mm Summicron are fabulous as are the 90mm and 21mm Elmarits.
I just really disliked my 90mm Summicron, and have heard from others that they too have preferred the 90mm Elmarit.
I've had both the normal 35mm f1.4 and the 35mm f1.4 ASPH, and neither were anywhere near as good as my pre ASPH 35mm Summicron. However, when the light was really low, that 1.4 ASPH did come in handy!!
Although I have never used a 50mm f1, I have heard that it is terrible in bright light - its designed for low light use, and again, it comes into its own here.
To answer your question about being picky...well, yes, but up to a point. It just so happens that there is a cheaper and better 90mm lens! Laurent makes some good points, but if I were you, I'd buy the Elmarit.
Hope you enjoyed the Marathon. I was covering the celebrity start! Very, very dull!

Edmond

Vishal,
I've been using my old, big 90/f2 for 7 years. I like taking portrait a lot. It's heavy, especially you carry a 3-lens outfit to travel around. Its quality pay off. Skin-tone is really great and natural. The extra stop give advantage over 90/f2.8, and out-of-focus soft effect is pleased in portrait.

I admit, as per Edmond said, that focusing spot-on is not easy some time but do not happen very often. You need to make sure both yr lens and camera is in 100% correct functioning, and clear eye-sight, then you'll get great shot.

If you want I can show you some pictures.

Patrick

Back