CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

What Flash for M6 TTL

photonut

Hello all,
What other alternative do I have beside using SF-20? Which Metz flash? I have a Nikon SB-22 speedlight. Can I use that? Thanks in advance. Ann

tbc

Ann, You ask whether you can use a Nikon SB-22 with a Leica M6 TTL. I am using a Nikon SB-24 with a Leica M6. I use a wide piece of auto striping tape to cover all but the center contact on the hot shoe of the M6. I have checked the triggering voltage of the SB-24 and it is 9 volts, which I have found safe. Other older flashes may have trigger voltages of 250 volts+ (Vivitar 283). I set the SB-24 on auto. Of course, any and all mfrs, in this case Nikon and Leica would not own up to any responsibility if something goes wrong.

jaerbo

Hi.. I've been using the M6TTL for about 2 years now... I guess you're looking for TTL options on your flash/camera...? Then you are stuck with the SF20 or you could buy a Metz adapter to fit most of the Metz..

kren2000

I went through this dilemma as well with my M7, so I got the specs together on a series of flashes. I put the info on my website:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I ended up getting the SF20 and couldn't be happier. It's a really great flash unit. I wish the batteries were standard (AA) but the lithiums last forever.

Karen

kren2000

p.s. The advantage of the SF-20 (or the Metz with adaptor) is the full TTL automation. This allows for very, very easy fill-in flash. Just dial in -1 or -2 on the flash unit. This lets you use the Leica in the places where it excels -- low, ambient light with just a touch of fill to brighten the main subject.