DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

The Nikon ais lenses aren't dead

Lovely shot. I'm planning to buy a 180mm f2.8 AIS when one passes my way for a good price. Colours and bokeh are wonderful

I did not realize that Nikon discontinued the Non-ED version of the 180/2.8 when going to the AIS series. They produced both ED and non-ED (Stands for Extra-Dollars, 1970s camera shop joke) in Ai. The Gold Ring (and back then the price tag) identified the ED version. These days- almost no price difference on the used market.

I did not realize either until I checked before posting. Yes, either of the gold ring AI or AI-S is fine. If looking at AI just need to ensure gold ring. If buying AI-S it will be gold ring. If buying online it can be difficult to tell difference between AI and AI-S, so one needs to check for the gold ring and/or *ED.

In the category of "Nikon Mythology", and something that one of the Senior salesreps told me in the 1970s- The "rumor was" the original Nikkor-P 180/2.8 was so good that people believed Nikon had used an ED element in it without marking as such. I'm not sure if it is true- but for $75, picked up a Nikkor-P 180/2.8 Factory Ai'd some 30+ years ago.

In the category of "Nikon Mythology", and something that one of the Senior salesreps told me in the 1970s- The "rumor was" the original Nikkor-P 180/2.8 was so good that people believed Nikon had used an ED element in it without marking as such. I'm not sure if it is true- but for $75, picked up a Nikkor-P 180/2.8 Factory Ai'd some 30+ years ago.

that's a great story (I want it to be true, even if it isn't :) )

I love that lens, though. I liked it so much I have 2 - one at home and one at my office :) both Ai'd (at factory, I guess also)

I love some of the old ais lenses because of course they are not perfect, but some of them have lots of character and are build and operate really well.
Speaking of character, I came to like my pre-AI 135mm f/3.5.
It's quite a fair bit unpredictable, which makes it all the more endearing.
This is what can happen if the sun is somewhere behind your subject.

51466580796_6b5cd1a738_o.jpg

Back