What lens hood

blumesan

I have just shot a roll of film of outdoor landscapes using a 25mm lens. Got lots of lens flare in several shots. Obviously I need a lens hood, but the question is what type of hood. Is there some rule of thumb to determine the proper diameter and depth of the hood, depending on the focal lenght of the lens?

jeff

For my 25mm I have three shades.
1. A Contax metal hood #1 and the Contax stepping ring 55-86. With this set-up you cannot use a filter because it will vignette.
2. A Contax rubber shade. Not sure of the model # but it's foe this lens. No filter same as above.
3. I found and old Konica rectangular metal shade for their 24mm that slips over the filter and locks on with a set screw friction ring type of thing. You can use a filter without vignetting.
Hope this helps,
Jeff

N

nomed

The Contax metal hood plus adaptor ring will be the 'recommended' setup, but it is not cheap and as Jeff points out you cannot use a filter. I have used metal hoods by Tiffen that work just fine. I got one on ebay and paid a fraction of what the Contax would have cost.

blumesan

Thanks for the input.
Still some questions:

Jeff: do you use a stepping ring (55-86) because the required hood must be 86mmm at the base? In other words, do I need to get a stepping ring and then a hood with a 86mm thread?

Rob: If I look for a hood on e-bay, what specs do I look for? Several hoods are advertised as "for wide angle lens". Only one or two specified the focal length of the lens for which they were designed.

jeff

Hi,
Yes, it's a two piece hood, the 55-86 ring and the 86mm Metal Hood #1. As stated it's quite pricey, but looks cool. I know, I know, cool doesn't make a photo.
The rubber hood is a 55mm 1 piece Contax G-12.
Jeff

blumesan

I'm back with another question:

I have managed to get hold of a variety of step up rings and hoods of various sizes. So far, to try them out I have simply observed the results by looking thru the viewfinder. Some combinations show obvious vignette in the viewfinder, others leave the viewfinder image completely unimpaired. In the latter case is this sufficient evidence to conclude there will be no effect on film OR do I have to shoot exposures with each combination to be sure if it is free of vignetting??

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mike Blume