DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss lens research which made in Germany

grumpoid

Hi all,

I am doing on-going research into Zeiss T* lenses and would appreciate help : can anyone say with 100% certainty which of the following lenses were produced in Germany and were they in AEG or MMG mount, or both?
Zeiss 25/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/3.5, 100/2, 135/2.8, 60/2.8C.

thanks in advance for any help..Steve.M (UK)

Hello Steve,
I have the 25/2.8 in MM mount and it is made in Japan.
I also have the 100/3.5 in MM and this is also marked made in Japan as is my 50/1.4 MM.
My 200/f4 MM is marked made in West Germany which shows its age I suppose.
I don't know about the other lenses you mentioned but I suspect that most of mine will have been produced in AE versions before the mount was changed many years ago. I remember being one of the knashers of teeth at the time.
My 85/2.8 MM is marked made in Germany.
I hope that helps a bit. They are all excellent lenses. I don't think that made in Japan or Germany makes a scrap of difference although somehow it is nicer to have lenses marked made in Germany.
Cheers,
John

I am writing down what I have seen.

15 3.5 WG
18 4 J
21 2.8 J
25 2.8 J
28 2.8 J
28 2 WG
35 1.4 WG, J
35 2.8 J
45 2.8 J
50 1.7/1.4 J
60 2.8 WG,J
85 2.8 G never seen a J version
85 1.4 G,J
85 1.2 WG,G
100 2 WG, J
100 2.8 J
135 2.8 J
180 J
200 2 J

Recently, I brought my second 100 2 made in west Germany,my first one is made in Japan. Optically I can't see any difference. The J one might perform slight better that the inner lining of the lens is darker and absobs light better.
All these are mass production products, they can't be different because they are produced in different places.

Steve,

I have a list of Contax lenses (quite comprehensive)downloaded from the website of a Japanese camera shop back in 1999. The website is still there but I could not find the link to the lens information again. You may try your luck at www.mapgroup.com but here is the list.

I hope this helps.

Wai (robusto)
<center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_msword.gif
Contax lenses
Zeiss Lenses.doc (32.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>

That's interesting. Thanks for the useful lens list. I have saved it and hope that's OK.
One discrepancy I notice is in respect of the 85/2.8 Sonnar. Mine is MM and made in Germany whereas the list gives the AE version as made in Germany and the MM as made in Japan.
It looks generally as though the German ones are mainly AE and so would be older models.

There was a 55/1.2 made in Japan? That's interesting. I thought that like the 85/1.2, the 55/1.2 was only made in Germany.

There were no 100/2 lenses made in Japan?

What does the "C" in 60 C Macro stand for?

Excellent list.

Hi Marc,

With regards to the 'C' notation, it stands for Compact. It also only goes to 1:2. The normal 60 MP does 1:1 and is larger in size as well.

Paul

Marc,

It was interesting to me too the first time I read the list. Apparently some of the lenses (especially the German versions) were either prototypes or produced in very small quantities and therefore rarely seen in the market.
100/2 Japan is on the list. The "C" in 60 C Marcro stands for Compact.

Cheers
wai (robusto)

Back